Author Topic: Even MORE R/D questions!  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Kegan

Even MORE R/D questions!
« on: February 11, 2009, 02:10:49 pm »
Okay, I've become seemingly obsessed with this design :D. Lately I've been thinking and the thought so far is that the relfex in the limbs work like stiff tips, only reflexed at the very tips- stable, reduce vibration, blah blah blah. I really have no idea how it works, but I've heard lots of people say that it makes a superior bow.

So how much should I put it?

I'm working on a short (63") Osage longbow from a really nice stave from Mullet, and at first I heated in a radical R/D shape- looked alot like a recurve. When I took the heat gun to temper the belly, it sorta straightenned out, but the shape is definately there. It looks alot like the amount in most FG bows I see, and people seem to be obsessed with it like that.

So I'm curious- with R/D, does a little go a long way towards improving performance/stability?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Even MORE R/D questions!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 02:17:19 pm »
I think a little goes a long way and a lot can be too much. You are adding stress to the bow and there is a happy medium as to what will be positive and what is negative.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 02:37:09 pm »
 I would agree with what Pat said. There is a balance of pros and cons in everything. I like to do a mild reflex. Somewhere between a recurve and a straight long bow design. But more like a slight deflexed long bow with a mild reflex starting mid limb to the tips. For me it is because most the bows that I make are shorter and it helps string angle,ease of bracing ,early draw weight and overall profile.
 I like the reflex to be able to "unfold" slightly and work at the same degree that the rest of the limbs are moving.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 02:39:02 pm »
Thanks guys :). I'll take some photos tonight. Right now, it just looks 'right' compared to the semi-recurve it was before.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 04:30:34 pm »
The only thing I can tell you is add more reflex than what you want the bow to finsh up with because you will lose a lot of it during tillering and shoot in. Other than that its kind of a trial and error thing until you find something that works for you.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 04:56:30 pm »
Thanks for the tip Ryan. Here's the bow at the moment. As you can see, the shape isn't very extreme, but I feel alot more comfortable with it. The belly is heavily tempered, and I intend to back it with sinew, so I don't see it taking too much set, not that I mind a ittle string follow anyway.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 05:01:05 pm »
I  have put up to 3" of reflex into bows (backed type) and I'm not convinced they are faster, ( i need a chronograph) than my best straight bow, but the reduced string angle definately makes a sweeter draw , it makes an increase also in early draw weight, which also makes , I believe, a bow more comfortable to draw and aim.
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 05:12:33 pm »
I  have put up to 3" of reflex into bows (backed type) and I'm not convinced they are faster, ( i need a chronograph) than my best straight bow, but the reduced string angle definately makes a sweeter draw , it makes an increase also in early draw weight, which also makes , I believe, a bow more comfortable to draw and aim.

Those qualities alone would be enough for me :). I can always boost speed by simply shooting heavier weights, and now I'm using FF for strings also (not alot of speed, but should help efficiency a bit).