Author Topic: question from a brand new bowyer.  (Read 2171 times)

bearbowman

question from a brand new bowyer.
« on: February 11, 2009, 02:04:32 pm »
I have made my first bow. It's a hickory stave bow that's about 58" nock to nock 48#@26".
my question is, the tillering is done and i am putting the final touches on the handle, should I brace this bow for a length of time before I attempt to shoot it. I don't want to screw up now.

any advice would be appreciated.
thanks,Bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: question from a brand new bowyer.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 02:13:47 pm »
IMO, It is not necessary if you exercised the bow while you were removing wood. That said, I usually let most of my bows rest at brace height for an extended period of time(one to 4 hours) after it is done. If it is going to sit in a tree with me for a few hours, I want to be sure it can take it. When it is time to shoot I want the bow to be as ready as I am and not be surprised by being braced for a few hours first.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

Re: question from a brand new bowyer.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 02:19:39 pm »
Personally, I only have my bows braced when I'm shooting them, or out hunting. If you've tillerd the bow patiently, and taught it to bend, it doesn't need unnecessary stress... like being braced for extended periods when not in use. That being said, I usually leave my bows braced for about a half hour before I shoot them. I think extended periods of brace can add to set.