Author Topic: recurve forms  (Read 2881 times)

troutbum76

recurve forms
« on: February 06, 2009, 11:58:41 pm »
could you guys post some pics of the forms that use to flip tips and add reflex. since i am at my father's, th mecca of all power tools, was hoping i could make a form or two for future use with the heat gun i just bought. thanx.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: recurve forms
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 01:00:09 am »
Here are two forms I used on a bow not long ago and the bow just out of the forms.    Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 03:06:51 am »
Here's the setup I use for reflexing tips:

Gordon

troutbum76

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 01:38:03 pm »
do you heat those tips and move them in increments. heating again and moving a little more.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 03:28:32 pm »
It is a process. Usually I bend the tips in one heating. Sometimes a bit of tweaking later with heat is necessary though.  I will clamp the tip to the form with the metal strap attacked farther down the limb. Then I heat it until the weight of the bow begins to pull the bow down. At that point I know it is hot enough. I will work clamps from the tips past the recurve as needed to straighten things out. Sometimes only one clamp is needed to hold it in place until it cools, sometimes it takes 5 or 6 clamps.
   I try to put in the reflex and take out side to side bends and up and down bends all at once but usually it takes a few attempts to get it just right. After heating and clamping I leave the stave on the form until tomorrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC