Author Topic: Silk backing  (Read 2552 times)

Offline bigcountry

Silk backing
« on: February 06, 2009, 11:25:18 pm »
I have been reading thru the TBB and reading about Silk.  I was planning on putting it on my son's bow.  My wife is worried that it will explode and hurt him.  After recommendations from a few members, silk started making sense.

The TBB kinda explains only way to put it on is while its under tension and waiting until the glue has dried.  Is this method really necassary? I just don't want it to wrinkle up.  And only want it incase the bow breaks and keep it from blowing up.
Westminster, MD

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Silk backing
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 11:49:13 pm »
It's really easy to do...just take you Bow place it on a 2X4   put 1 inch thick blocks under each Tip....now take a piece of String and tie the center of the Bow down tight to the 2X4...this puts the Bow in a slight tension....now I use TiteBond 3...I thin is up with water just a Little....so it soaks into the Silk better.....rub the Back of the Bow down with Acetone or Alcohol to remove any oils or dirt....let it dry.....Cut Your Silk to a close fit...you will trim it proper later....rub some Glue on the Back of the Bow...now coat the Silk with a good layer of the Thinned Glue...lay it on the Back of the Bow....and rub all air bubbles out from under it...rub it down good with your fingers....now put another coat on it and let this Dry....when completely dry....use a Utility Knife to trim off the excess Silk....and you are ready to put your Finish on....see......nothing to it!!! Dang I got off on a Rant!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Silk backing
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 11:08:53 am »
Check my site. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!