Author Topic: Hickory backed IPE  (Read 3871 times)

Offline bigcountry

Hickory backed IPE
« on: February 05, 2009, 11:45:42 am »
Just got a plank of IPE from a flooring place.  I need some sort of backing.  I was planning on boo, but hickory is an option.  Does the hickory backing need to have perfect grain from end to end?  If it doesn't, can it lift a splinter like a backing of a selfbow?  Seems like a huge expectations to find a piece of hickory that is perfect straight grain end to end.
Westminster, MD

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
Re: Hickory backed IPE
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 11:49:19 am »
Ive seen quarter sawn hick used,you might want to check out what the advertisers on PA sell and that would give you lots of info.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 11:53:09 am »
Quarter sawed with the least amount of grain run offs is the way to go for hickory backings.  ;) Just look for the same kind of thing you would want for a board bow.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Cooper

• "I believe in … surprise"
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 01:20:34 pm »
The hickory backing I used was just sawed from a board with standing rings.
Niels Böttcher - "Cooper" (PA) = "Botjer" (FC+FA)
"If this day wasn't your friend it was your teacher …"

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 11:50:43 pm »
I have a whole bunch of hickory staves drying.  I wonder if I can get backing off that.  I rarely see hickory boards. 

Can someone explain what quarter saw is?  Sorry for the dense questions.  I can definately see how someone could get a good backing from a straight grained perfect board. 
Westminster, MD

Offline crumrw

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 01:53:59 pm »
In the image look how the grain runs through the board.  On a quartersawn borad.  The rings go perpendicular to the long width of the board, if that makes sense.  As you can see in the other types of cuts, you might get a few boards that are plainsawn or riftsawn that look like quarter sawn boards.  Quartersawn and riftsawn are typical more expensive because you get a smaller number of boards from each log, but you get a more consistent grain pattern and you only have to worry about run off on the thin side of the board.  I usually look through the plainsawn boards at the home depot or the like, and can usually find a few boards that have the quartersawn grain pattern.

Rick

Garland, TX

Offline crumrw

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 01:55:10 pm »
Wow, I need to double check my spelling and grammar before posting apparently!! ...sorry
Garland, TX

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 02:04:13 pm »
Thanks Crum, great explanation
Westminster, MD