Author Topic: $4 bow  (Read 4895 times)

Dave Dellinger

$4 bow
« on: February 02, 2009, 01:32:47 am »
I need some advice. Last week I was at Home Depot and walked by the wood and a small red oak board caught my eye. I had never considered read oak until reading here. This will be a practice bow, but will be my second attempt at making a bow. About 35 years ago I tried making one from a dead Eastern cedar sapling, but it blew-up  when finishing the tiller and trying to draw it. About 15 years ago I had a Cherokee friend help me pick out a hickory board at a sawmill, and I bandsawed it to shape and it has sat since.
This bow will be 47" tip-to-tip. I was able to chase a ring for the first time.  The handle is bending a little, but I hope not any more. It is about 1.250" mid-handle, and about 7/16" at the tips. 5/8" thick at the center of the handle, and 3/8" thick at the tips. The tiller is coming along nicely. I think the shape is right, drawing about 6" right now. Sorry I suck at trying to take or post pics.
 What I need to know from you experienced guys, is what is a reasonable draw length to expect from this short of a bow?  I might use it to teach my nephew archery if it can be functional. If not it will be good practice. Any ideas what draw weight I might get? I'd be happy with 20lbs.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: $4 bow
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 09:26:24 am »
How big is your nephew?  I think you can get 20# at 20".
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 09:32:24 am »
That is so nice to hear. Congratulations! You can get some where between 20-22 in.  There's info on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Dave Dellinger

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 02:04:48 pm »
Nephew is barely 10, and small for his size, but strong. I was shooting a fiberglass 25# bow at his age.
He has so little patience, very into TV and electronic crap, so I thought I would see if this bow will finish, then get his help in making arrows for it. Both will be good practice for me, maybe good learning experience for him. Then maybe I can teach him about growth rings, tillering, etc when working on my hickory bow, and then we can start on a few dozen more together.  ;D

roofus

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 04:32:50 pm »
Then maybe I can teach him

Good man.... That is the most important part.

Dave Dellinger

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 06:53:49 pm »
Well, in the 60's and 70's I read a book somewhere, never had anyone who could teach me. Until about 1995 or so, I didn't even know anyone still made primitive weapons. I don't know if he is even interested, but I will try.
If not, I will use it as trade material.

Dave Dellinger

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 01:27:48 am »
Can red oak be recurved? What about heat treating the belly for any reason? Since this is a practice bow, but I want it to work too, any suggestions? I have never tried any of the above.....

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 01:36:24 am »
I believe a red oak recurve tied for BOM last month. So yes, I think you can recurve red oak. ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Joe M

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 09:33:07 pm »
Glad to hear you're getting the bow building bug again.  If I might suggest, I think I would stay
with something simple like a backed longbow, maybe backing it with linen or silk, then maybe
consider the recurve.  Good luck with what you decide to make.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it!   :)

Dave Dellinger

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 02:49:54 am »
I never lost the bowbuilding bug, just life and work got put in front for too long. It really helps to have others, even in cyberspace, involved too. Sharing info, expertise and encouragement makes a LOT of difference.
I'm going to keep working on this small red oak bow for now, and forget about recurving it. After doing searches and reading about possible nocking issues, I am gluing some thin bone tips in place with TB3.

I'm still not sure what to do about the wide/thin handle. I'm afraid if I narrow it much it will start to bend.
After the tips are glued I'll file some nocks and try to brace it. I'll try to search and see what to use for a tillering string.

Other than one co-worker 10-12 years ago, I have never known anyone else to have these interests, so this is somewhat new to be able to ask for advice.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 10:26:51 am »
Dave, a lot of us started building bows not knowing anyone else that did the same. That's where PA comes into play. You have the best wood bowyers in the world at your fingertips. All you have to do is ask. Pics are a big help, too.
  If your bow wants to bend in the handle, let it do so. A bendy handled bow can be just as good as any other.  Once you get your bow to a low brace height, if the handle area is not bending add a handle riser to the belly side then shape your handle. If done properly and the handle doesn't bend it will work out for you.  The most important thing to learn in bow building is proper tillering methods and being able to see proper tiller. After that you can concentrate on the type of bow you want to build.
  As far as a tiller string any strong cord will work. I use parachute cord and Hillbilly used clothes line cord for his. I think Marc St Louis used aircraft cable for a tiller string on his heavy bows so you can see almost anything will work.  I tie a slip knot in each end, cinch it down to each tip and there is your tiller string.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC