Author Topic: hows it look  (Read 6330 times)

troutbum76

hows it look
« on: February 01, 2009, 04:41:05 am »
this is the bow i am working on right now. 68in ntn , 1.75 in at fades  to 12 in form the nocks where it tapers to 3/4 in at the nocks. i am trying for 50lbs at 26 in. in the picture it is pulling 50 @ 20in on the zero brace height string. hows the tiller look? i want to flip the tips on this bow, is the time right?  i made a form with about a 35 % angle  for about 4 in of the tips. i haven't braced the bow beyond the taunt string and have been exercising the limbs and removing wood super slow to try and reduce string follow. all imput is appreciatedafter looking at the pic looks like i might have small hinge mid limb on the left side

Offline Granite Mtn

Re: hows it look
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 07:17:59 am »
Be very cautious of makeing decisions of tiller based on photos with background Noise and shadows.  Also keep in mind tillering sticks and pulley systems can give an impression of tiller that will not jive with actually drawing the bow.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 09:59:45 am »
From the untrained eye like myself, it looks like the left limb is stiff from midlimb out to the tip.  Also looks like Right limb may be stronger than left.
Westminster, MD

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 10:33:32 am »
Yes, now would be the time to do any reflexing,etc. I do it before stringing with the short string. I only long string out to 10 inches. I check weight and keep reducing until I get target weight plus 5# or so. I think you can string it at a very low brace height. There are buildalongs on my site. If this is your first I would not do an tip flipping. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 10:34:20 am »
There are buildalongs on my site. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 10:34:49 am »
Set Happens!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 10:37:07 am »
I'd get it braced at this point about 4" once its braced the flaws in the tiller will become more readily appaent.
3/4" for the tips is pretty wide, might want to reduce them down some at this point also, If your going to flip the tips
I would do it now as that will also affect the tiller and draw weight. What wood is it? Better picture would help, try to take
one with an uncluttered background square and level to the bow, also a little bigger pic would help us old farts out ;)

With that type of front profile and a 26" draw it doesn't need to bend deeply into the fades so be careful that you don't thin the fades too much
as a little set at the fades translates into a bunch of string follow at the tips. Take your time and have patience :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

troutbum76

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 05:17:45 pm »
i meant to say that tips are 1/2 in.  thats what happens when you post at 2 in the morning after a fourteen hour shift. ;D will post some better pictures in a while. it is red oak also.  and this is my third bow. i think that answers all the questions. thanks for the imput.

troutbum76

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 06:47:23 pm »
here is some new and hopefuly better better pics  (with some help from my lovely assitant) this is with the bow braced to 4 in.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 06:50:57 pm »
Looks like the left limb might be a tad stiffer about midlimb, overall I think it looks good.
Your assistant is a cutie with help like that how can you possibly fail :)

Just take your time and I do believe you will have a nice bow.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 07:16:58 am »
What Dana said,looking pretty good so far.Is that Hickory ? If so be careful when you flip the
tips,I have had some trouble wit them on white wood. :) You are at the point that if I plan on flipping them I do it.Cute little girl. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

troutbum76

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 02:28:27 am »
well i pulled a splinter while trying to flip my tips so i superglued it and wrapped it with jute soaked in tb3. did both tips for symmetry and now have tillered it out to 55lbs at 25 in. i was shooting for 50 at 25in so i have a little wiggle room. wouldn't mind it being 55 either. how does it look. i have taken i super slow. think there might be a tiny hinge mid limb on the left side.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 06:15:10 am »
Yes you do,I would get it moving torward the fad on the left limb.Right don't look to bad.I
also wouldn't leave it on the tiller stick long at all.I only use the stick till I get it braced and then
go to the rope /pully system. It is hard on a selfbow to leave it at full draw like that.Will cause a lot of set. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

troutbum76

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 02:30:35 am »
well i have let this sit for awhile but i wanted to get it finished before ojam next weekend. i believe that i fixed the hinge that was there before. the right tip is slightly flipped and i was wondering if this should effect the profile when it bends. i am at about 54 lbs at 25 in and the set is about an inch directly after unstringing, falling to little under 3/4 in after resting. i am trying to get only the smallest amount of bend into the handle because i believe that is what caused the large set on my first 3 bows. let me know what you think.

Shooter_G22

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 03:23:09 am »
holly crap!!!

i freaked out when i saw your bow in the tiller...   not becuase of the bow but because i built a tiller stand almost exactly like that one...  i mean when i saw the photo... im like damn is that my tiller tree...

lmao....   i had to look at it real close and i was confused for a split second...   wow...   

i dont remember if maybe i had seen a prevaoiuse post of your tiller tree but i was like wow that looks exactly like mine...
wierd..huh...