Author Topic: arrow shelf  (Read 9972 times)

Offline joesharp79

arrow shelf
« on: January 29, 2009, 08:18:04 pm »
thank you all for the great advise on the post twisted limb it was a combination of the 2 tips weren't exactly right and the limb was a little thicker on the other side got that fixed thanks to u guys here

ok now i was wondering cause i cant find anywere  that tells me were to cut my arrow shelf do i cut 1" above center for best preformace or is there 1 place better than the other all opinions are greatly appreciated

THANK YOA ALL JOE

Offline Traxx

Re: arrow shelf
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 08:33:13 pm »
Dont cut one.Then you dont hafta worry bout that.Often,a person finds the correct spot for the pass,by shooting in the bow.If you cut a shelf in before hand,it may not be right for you n the bow.

We dont need no stinking shelves. :D

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 09:09:11 pm »
I agree with Traxx.
I'm no expert, in fact just finished my first bow recently, but I'm just putting a raised spot, or extra wrap in the hemp string wrap in my handle to give me a reference so my hand will be in the same spot every shot, and thereby my hand will work as a consistent shelf without the added technology and hassle of a shelf.  Just a trim with a razor blaze and dot of glue on the feathers (where the feather meets your hand) and you don't even notice the arrow passing across your hand. You can order arrows from raptor archery that are already for shooting without a shelf. 
           -nick 
I take life 1 month in the Montana wilds at a time...

Offline artcher1

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 09:13:45 pm »
It all depends on how you grip your bows Joe. One inch above center would require a fairly straight wrist. An 1 1/2" will require a medium grip, two inches a low wrist or full hand grip. No need to look for a sweet spot,  just build in. -ART B

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 12:06:17 am »
personally i shoot my bows in to find the sweet spot and then put on a version of a floppy style just so i know where the spot it from then on.
some bows i make with more of a riser style for the grip i go 1.25 inches over center.

i dont understand what a straight wrist or medium grip or full hand grip is,could someone please explain.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 07:41:58 am »
I'll try Tim but I may be wrong :P

Full Hand Grip is like on most of the FG bows you see a pistol grip style and you hold the bow with your full hand

Straight wrist is just that a straight wrist with the only contact point with the handle being between your thumb and pointer finger

Medium grip is in between them two I guess.

Myself I shoot with the straight wrist for the most part.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 10:07:31 am »
I'm secure enough to use a shelf no matter what other people think of them. If you are building the bow for yourself you only have to make one person happy.   ;)

I cut my shelf in about 1 1/4" above center.  Then I adjust the nocking point a little if need be. It isn't necessary to cut the shelf in, but is makes it easier to match the arrows since spine isn't as picky on a near center shot bow.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 10:20:39 am »
If I plan to cut a shelf or not I usuall shoot it and find a spot I like then mark it and either cut it
in or glue it on.I use to never cut a shelf but It dose make it easier to match arrows. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Jesse

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 11:21:50 am »
I just grab the bow by the handle where it feels good and make sure the tiller looks good with that hand placement at full draw. Then I just cut the shelf right on top of where I grip it.Usually a little over an inch above center. Then shoot it and adjust the knocking point as needed to control arrow flight. Might not be the best way but it works great for me. I have shot with and without and cant figure out why you would want to be without  but to each his own :) Ive seen guys shooting very well without any shelf you just have to be a little more picky with the spine. I find on a deep cut shelf you can get away with shooting a very stiff arrow.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 11:46:36 am »
I do it similar to Justin and Jesse, I don't cut my shelves to center anymore but usually just glue on a leather arrow rest. I narrow the area where the rest will be while I build the bow and just tiller it with my tillering string pulling as if I were shooting an arrow from that point. Really doesn't make much difference. Usually just a touch of positive tiller seems to work pretty well. Steve

gutpile

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 12:42:44 pm »
I cut mine in 1 1/4 like Justin..not trying to please anyone but me..LOL...gut

Offline Boro

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 12:51:30 pm »
I have this book about archery anatomy and took a few pictures about grippin. It is actually about pistol grip. With selfbows I guess it is more free will and comfort.

Zagreb, Croatia

salad days

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 01:12:22 pm »
Let me get this straight. When you guys that adjust tiller to the shelf/nock location, do you tiller to even tips at full draw? I'm am doing that right now and I'm wondering if my limbs will be timed correctly when doing it this way? Great thread.

Offline John K

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 02:07:21 pm »
I have been glueing on a piece of antler or wood, but before i do that i tape it on to find the spot that works best for me when shooting.
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 04:05:05 pm »
archer1,  if you're still their can you explain that stuff about" full , medium  grip etc" sounds very interesting but not sure what you mean?
I think grip position is underestimated in it's influence on good arrow flight!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......