Author Topic: Snake Skins  (Read 5335 times)

Offline Badger

Snake Skins
« on: January 28, 2009, 03:21:31 pm »
I put some snake skins on a bow this morning and was not sure where to trim them, should they wrap around the side or be flush with the back? or inbetween? Also best way to trim them? Steve

Offline adb

Re: Snake Skins
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 03:34:59 pm »
I trim mine flush with the edge on the bow's back. I use a new olfa blade, and run it at about a 45 angle. If the blade isn't sharp, the skin tends to rip. I also found if you wrap the skin around the edge, it just won't stick. I usually gently sand the finished edge just a bit, going with the grain of the skin, from head to tail. If any little edges pop up, I just tack them down with a bit of super glue. Finish with whatever you normally use... I like truoil or poly.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 12:30:58 am by adb »

gutpile

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 04:16:35 pm »
Steve I trim mine with a fine rasp..just rasp the edges at a steep angle to get the perfect trim job...you can leave the sides done if you wish or rasp off..either way they look great..gut

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 04:55:49 pm »
   I didn't have a sharp blade so used a fine rasp and it worked great. I went flush to the back as the sides were pulling loose a little bit. I noticed after I sanded the skins a bit the seemed to loose most of the color, I went ahead and put a heavy coat of tightbond over them and it seemed to bring back the color pretty good. Thanks for the responses. Steve

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 06:44:00 pm »
Steve, sometimes the color can appear washed out from the color of the wood. It helps to use a black dye on the wood first or a dark cloth backing. Also, Did you remove the scales before sealing.  I generally use clear packing tape to remove the scales and then  only sand the edges lightly. Hope that helps.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 08:00:00 pm »
I had heard of the tape trick here awhile back, that worked well also. I thought about the darker background but then decided I wanted the color of the hickory to bleed through a bit to hopefully match the belly better. Real happy with how it came out, as you say a light sanding over the edges seemed to smooth it out nicely.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 01:29:07 am »
I get my neatest edges by using a rat tail file and just lightly filing along one of the curves around each edge.  Then sanding lightly.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 05:33:21 am »
I use a fine file on the edge also and usually don't do the sides.I have used the tap for removing the scales before with good success but I have had it tear the skin.I just rinse and rub the really good in water before I start and dry them off and don't have many scales to deal with.Can't wait to see some pictures Steve. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 08:28:08 am »
I don't wrap the sides, I think it looks better on the back only personally. I also use a steel file and lightly file the edges working my way down. Light sanding afterwards if needed...
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

gutpile

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 11:26:55 am »
Steve maybe as Keenan suggest a dark color under the skin...but I know for a fact you do not want to use a dark color under copperheads..not sure about other skins but a copperhead needs a light color underneath...I stay away from dark colors under all my skins...I don't sand them either..once you get the scales off the color will jump right out to ya...brightens them up nicely..what kind of skins did you use?...can we see a pic.?...gut

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 06:23:16 pm »
Here's a pic of a Holmegaard with Prairie rattler skins.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 07:06:25 am »
The rubber block you use to clean you belt sander with is the ultimate scale remover, once you try it you will use nothing else.  Just remember to go with the scales not against as it can tear the skin.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 01:04:51 pm »
I use dark Brown Leather Dye behind the Skins....Trim the Skins at the Edge of my rounded sides.....and I rub the Scales off with an Old Pink Grade School Eraser from Wal Mart
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 02:00:00 pm »
I like skins over bare wood. I like to see the color of the wood come through. I am highlighting the bow as a whole and not just the skins.
  I sand very lightly if any on the skin, except along the edge. As thin as most skins are its easy to sand through in some spots. I like the scales being proud on the bow also or I'd buy the fake vinyl skins.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 02:54:14 pm »
I've done both... dyed dark under the skins, and natural wood. I must admit, I like the natural wood underneath. With dark colors under the skins, you lose a bit of contrast, and the patterns of the skin don't show up as well.