Author Topic: Does Red Oak need backing?  (Read 5147 times)

Glenn R.

Does Red Oak need backing?
« on: January 26, 2009, 09:43:43 pm »
I just split a huge red oak trunk, about 3 foot diamater--almost all the staves split out straight--wood just a little more stringy than I thought it would be. Plan on removing all sap wood--using the dark red heart wood only. With a wide limb (2-1/2") and rectangular cross section what would the limit be on poundage for this wood. TBB doesn't have a lot of coverage on red oak but does mention tension problems and backing it with a linen or vegetable fiber. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated--Thanks,  Glenn R.

Offline Kegan

Re: Does Red Oak need backing?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 09:46:39 pm »
First off, I wouldn't take the sapwood off (unless you are splitting belly staves)- unless you want it to look all nice and dark. For staves, the outter ring is alot stronger anyway. Second, with such stout limbs you would probably get a bow pulling over 100# or so. I've made several pretty narrow red oak stave ELB's that pulled a good bit of weight that were unbacked. Boards are jsut the ones that gave me trouble.

Hope this helps

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 10:40:25 pm »
i dont back any of my red oak bows, they are all very strong and bend very well. but i use the first ring under the bark.- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 10:48:31 pm »
I would also use the first ring of sapwood under the bark as the back, and you shouldn't need backing. Backing is often done to oak board bows to compensate for the outer ring that was taken off or violated. You don't want to try chasing a ring on oak unless you want to develop psycological problems.  I tried it once and look at me now. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 10:50:23 pm »
I would also use the first ring of sapwood under the bark as the back, and you shouldn't need backing. Backing is often done to oak board bows to compensate for the outer ring that was taken off or violated. You don't want to try chasing a ring on oak unless you want to develop psycological problems.  I tried it once and look at me now. ;D

:D :D ;D :D :D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 11:05:54 pm »
Red oak doesn't need a backing any more than any other bow wood. I have watched Tim Baker make several hundred at our monthly gatherings and none of them have failed, all board bows in the 50# range. I have proably made a few hundred red oak board bows myself over th eyears, under rated as a bow wood for sure. Steve

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 11:11:56 pm »
Steve, I remember that red oak-yew bow you made, blew me away.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Glenn R.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 12:43:17 am »
Everyone, Thanks for the replies, I've never tried or dealt with red oak before but when we dropped this tree late fall/early winter it really caught my eye. Growth rings/latewood is 1/4" or thicker with 1/4 being about the thinnest and some 3/8". I thought oak was slooooooow growing, guess I'm just to use to the thin ringed osage around here. I cut the heck out of black locust this past summer too (also thick rings) and put up about 20 staves in the barn loft. Thanks again.   

Johnny95

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 05:54:49 pm »
you can also go to homedepot and buy red oak. you can buy the 1x2x72, but its actually 1.5x.75x72   which is perfect for a bow , but thats just my opinion.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 06:16:14 pm »
Glenn, no it does not automatically need a backing. Johnny, get straight grained stock or walk away. There's an almps perfect board on my site.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 11:35:09 pm »
 i strongly recomend backing it, from my experiece with red oak, it has cracked on every bow that i didnt back, then again they were also on board bows, so the issue could have been in the moisture content, not teh backing aspect- just my two cents. good luck, im looking foward to seeing those bows too- and im sure oak can make some decent arrows if you want to go that route with the oak.   -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 01:57:02 am »
                        Never backed an Oak Bow Yet.....except with Snake Skins...and that was for aesthetics only
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome