Author Topic: B50 Dacron  (Read 16387 times)

charlie636

B50 Dacron
« on: January 26, 2009, 07:48:06 pm »
For you fellows who make your own Bow Strings, I needsome help. I want to make my own strings, so I read Tim Bakers chapter in the Bowyer's Bible and decided to go with B50 dacron. I bought two 1/4 lb. spools. I tried to follow the string strength test, but each time the string broke near the knot. Anyway, I tested 7 strings off the spool all about 36 inches long and came up with a average of 11 lb. If you are familiar with testing B-50 what average did youall come up with?

The Bow I'm making is a deflex/reflex long bow 45# at 28". So according to Tim, I need a 180# test string, or 4 times draw weight.

Thank You

Offline Kegan

Re: B50 Dacron
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 08:25:30 pm »
14-16 strands is perfect for your bow. I use 18 on my longbows, but that's to help slow down wear. 16 holds up even with my 70+# bows.

With modern string mateirals, it's mroe shooting for desired diameter than for breaking strength.

charlie636

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 08:50:01 pm »
Kegan, thank you, I knew you would know.  14 strands works well with the 7 strand per bundle principle, eaqualing two cords for the string. I want to make a Flemish string which I didnt't mention. For your 18 strand string how do you confiiger the plies?
You mention "desired Diameter" you are talking about String Mass, right?

Thank's Again

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 09:29:04 pm »
Actually- I meant the plain diameter :D! Sometimes modern string mateials are so stong you could get away with less than 10 strands on a 40# bow. Well, that would cut your fingers to ribbons. Most Fast Flight strings they sell are 16 strands, even though you could do fine with fewer.

When I make my strings, I jsut cut 18 strands to the same length, and cord two bundles together to make the loop (a flemmish loop). I then wrap off where the ends stop, and leave the rest of the strands straight (to lessen the stretch). At the other end I braid it and tie a bowyer's knot. Hope this helps

charlie636

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 10:16:33 pm »
Yes you did. Thanks again

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 10:39:49 pm »
I usually make mine 14 strands. B-50 is rated at 50lbs. per strand (although I've seen tests rating it at an average of 38 lbs., so a 10-strand string would be strong enough for a hoss of a bow. But like Kegan said, ten strands is just really small diameter-it cuts your fingers and I believe tends to stretch more and slip more at the knot than a fatter string.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 12:22:56 am »
I usually do 14 strands of B-50 for most of the bows I make, up to 60# or so. For light, 30#-35# bows I go 12 strands.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Barrage

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 11:05:03 am »
I've done 10 strand strings for up to #63 bows, had zero problems.  I double served right at the nocking point though.
Travis

Offline Kenny H

• still learning!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 11:43:51 am »
I haven't made a good shooting bow that lasted but i have made many strings for my other bows and for the ones i tried to make. I found a video of a guy on utube that shows every step and also another video showing how to make a Flemish string jig. its so simple to make and i have had very good luck with it and my strings. I messed up the first couple but it gets easier. the hardest part for me was getting the final length correct. hope this will help you.
Kenneth Hughes

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 12:20:12 pm »
    I like the double loop flemish twist string, Tim Baker usually makes the single loop with a timber hitch, I know it takes him about 5 min to make a string and it takes me about 15 min. for the double loop. I have a string jig that gives me the length of the bow I am working on instead of the string length, I always pick a bow length about 2" longer than my actual bow and it seems to work out right for my particular jig. I also like 14 strands if I am using b 50 10 strands for fast flight but nocks have to be a tough material like antler to hold up. Steve

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 12:59:47 pm »
I usually use b50 14 strain on about everthing and lately 1 loop and a timber on the bottom.
I haven't had any problems with that.Be sure there are no sharp edges on the nocks or sometimes that will cut the string.I rub it over good with my thumb and if I feel anything but smooth I take a little sandpaper and slick it up.Especially where the nocks fad into the belly of the limb. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 06:53:01 pm »
Maybe I am nutz, but I have been shooting just a 10 strand B-50 flemish strings on a sinew backed osage 50# @ 26".  I have shot up to 650 grain arrows and on down to 450 grain arrows without having a string failure.  Have I been using up all my luck?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 07:03:51 pm »
i dont think your using up al your luck,i believe a 10 strand would be safe for a 50# bow
however i think it would be thin and tend to pinch on the fingers.
i use 14 strand b50 strings,just cause they dont pinch as bad
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 07:08:46 pm »
I've done 10 strand strings for up to #63 bows, had zero problems.  I double served right at the nocking point though.
Me too.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline sailordad

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 07:14:25 pm »
not trying to hi-jack your thread

however i see thatyou said,and hav read in other posts alos,that you serve your nocks

now do you mean just up to the loop?
or do youe serve The whole loop also? if you serve the loop,how do you do this?

thanks

peace,
                                                                                      tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd