Author Topic: tree's ????  (Read 3859 times)

Shooter_G22

tree's ????
« on: January 24, 2009, 11:53:17 pm »
im always out there in them woods but have no idea how to recognize a good bow wood tree..

like hickory what does this look like???  what does elm look like...   black locast??  any other good bow wood trees??? 
can somebody post up pics of some good trees and explain what i should be looking for???

also has anybody ever used mysket wood... we have an bunch of hat thorny tree here...  almost as much of that as we do oak...   why havent i cut oak to make a bow from it???  i see peolpe here that use oak.. but why is it not apealing to me..?? is it because its soo cheap at lowes and homedepot to get a board bow that i wouldnt have to waite for it to season... ???

thanks in advance if anybody can post up pics of some good trees...

Offline sailordad

Re: tree's ????
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 11:59:49 pm »
shooter

easiest way is to just google "what does and elm tree look like",or replace elm with whatever tree it is you want to see.that how i do it,learned what red osier was that way and black locust etc.

as far as mysket wood,well they say if it has fruit nuts or thorns itll make a bow,i say go for it.

peace,
                                                                                       tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline JustAim

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 12:07:44 am »
Buy a good tree book at barnes and noble with lots of pictures and take it with you when you go out to the woods.

Offline sulphur

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 09:47:15 am »
this is what i started looking at http://forestry.about.com/library/treekey/bltree_key_id_start.htm
it mostly identfies by leaves so might have to wait till spring.

Shooter_G22

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 12:57:23 pm »
thanks guys...   duh.. ::)  why didnt i just think of that right... ????

sulphur, great link... thnks   

JustAim, thats a good idea i think im going to have to do that...  any tips on a good tree book???

might have to hit up this spot we got here called half price books...  they sell used books for half the cover price...  thats my favoret book source...  not a bigtime reader though...

Sailordad, as usual you can find the easiest solution for me when im having brain farts... lol... thnks... :D

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 01:01:37 pm »
shooter

no problem man,i am an expert on solving brain farts. i have them all the time ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 01:17:33 pm »
Audubon Field Guide puts out great books on tree ID and for both sides of the US. They show pics of the tree's frame(good for winter ID) , leaves, flowers, fruit and in some cases the limb tips and leaf buds. The written descriptions cover a lot of ID information.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC