Author Topic: Abstract concept/meaning of "warbow"  (Read 8232 times)

Offline Heiner

• Franco Flemish Contingent
Abstract concept/meaning of "warbow"
« on: January 23, 2009, 10:10:58 am »
Hi everyone!

What pops up in your mind, if you read or hear "warbow"? What is your understanding of this word's meaning? A famous type of bow used in Europe during the late medieaval period? An american indian flatbow dating 18/19th century? Any bow heavier than 80, 90, 100 lbs? What else?

We've had this discussion in a german archery forum lately and I offered to post the same question here on PA. There's alot of guys really interested in your point of view in "the old world" ;).

Looking for your valued replies
Heiner

P.S.: I did place this here and not in the "english warbow" subforum intentionally. I hope to get more and a wider range of points of view this way.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 10:37:57 am by Heiner »
Institio regressum significat.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Abstract concept/meaning of "warbow"
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 10:39:27 am »
I usually think of the hornbows of Asia.  They were an army made up almost entirely of archers who dominated the battle field like no other group of archers.  Beside, they combined two of my favorite things, horses and bows.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 10:55:07 am »
When I think of war bows lots of different eras, countries and peoples come to mind. Of course the English(Medieaval) war bows, the Asiatic horn bows, Yumi bows of Japan, Large heavy bows of Africa and South America and I'm sure there are many more. The Cherokee(Eastern Woodland) made their war bows similar to their hunting bows but longer(6'+) and 75# and up.
   There seems to be more info about the EWBs thanks partially to the Mary Rose Trust and the information that has been compiled from historical records and the info they have gleaned from studying the actual bows from the Mary Rose. I would like to see more info on the many different war bows from around the world.
   Also there was a group of archers trained with longbows in the US during WWII and subsequently parachuted into Europe with the thoughts of using the bows and arrows for assassination. I believe only one German soldier(?) was killed with bow and arrow during that time. There was an article in the last issue of Traditional Bowhunter about this.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 11:51:59 am »
Any bow that could cast a heavy arrow far enough to be used as artillery.
Gordon

Offline Dane

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 12:07:51 pm »
I think nowadays, “warbow” is a generic term for the English bows like the Mary Rose Tudor-period weapons. But, I think the term war bow applies to any bow used in warfare, and there are many styles and cultures that developed and used them, as others have pointed out here. Any bow used to shoot even one arrow in a skirmish or battle should then be considered a war bow, even if it was a hunting weapon someone shot some other guy with.

I don’t know how far back the term goes, or if it was ever used by bowyers historically, but feel it is really a marketing “branding” term, like the term “horse bow,” and that kind of pernicious thinking really harms everyone. There were mounted Medieval English archers using standard yew longbows from the saddle, but you would never call those bows horse bows.

Cross bows seem to have avoided all that. There were the big, powerful kind used to kill the enemy, and elegant sporting crossbows, even stone bows for killing small game and birds, but I have never heard of a “war crossbow.” A cross bow is simply a cross bow.

I think “military bow” is a more appropriate term for bows crafted specifically for a given war or campaign, fortification protection, guard duty, sieges, etc., and differentiates the intended purpose of a military weapon from a sporting or hunting weapon.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Barrage

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 12:15:53 pm »
First thing to mind, when talking in a general sense, would be a heavier bow.  In a more specific weapon sense, the English longbow and Mongolian (asiatic) bows would be the first to mind.
Travis

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 02:23:49 pm »
I think of the English longbow. However, that's half because of the old stories of Robin Hood, and half because if I was making a bow to kill other soldiers, it would be a long heavy D bow without any frills :P

Offline Jesse

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 06:47:42 pm »
The title war bow can be applied to any bow used in warfare but to be honest when I hear the term war bow I automatically think of a heavy English longbow.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 07:10:34 pm »
I'm with Jesse on this one!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 07:35:36 pm »
I think of the English longbow.  It must be a heavy bow of at least 90#. It'd design  must  be  of a bow originally intended for war. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 09:45:42 pm »
The Africans and Cherokees used long strong D bows for war too didn't they?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 10:47:53 pm »
 Kegan, you are right. Also the Timucuan Indians used bows reported by the Spanish Explorers,to be 6' tall and over 100#. But when you hear Warbow, it seems to be a generic term for a military bow used in England even though the same design in one form or another was used all over Europe.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline wakosama

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 11:20:20 pm »
This got me thinking about 'military' weapons.  Made by the cheapest bidder, modular designed for mass production... even an illiterate peasant can shoot... simple, basic, and cheap, as long as it does the job.  Made me figure the longbow style 'warbow' is the AK of archery weapons and the Asian laminated style more the high tech M16 version.  Think conscript vs Samurai... JMHO...

LUK
Think as if your LIFE depends on it... IT DOES...!

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 11:33:15 pm »
Hi,  When I think of "warbows" I think of the late midieval english longbow.  Admittedly the term could be be applied pretty darn broadly, but I always thought the term was a fairly recent one.  I thought the main use of the term was just to distinguish between the heavy draw, bend in the handle bows used during the hundred years war and the more recent rigid handled Victorian era target bows.   Both styles of bow could be called "English Long Bows", but only the earlier bows were war bows.  I don't know if this was truly the origin of the term, but it does fit the usage I've seen.   I like the idea of using "military " bows to refer to bows made with organized warfare in mind.      Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline redwasp

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 12:38:18 am »
what if you were a bowyer back in the day and one of your bows broke in combat. I would assume the punishment could be severe. I too think of the english medevil longbow usually made of yew.
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.