Author Topic: Pulled a splinter: Opinions Please  (Read 10812 times)

Minuteman

Re: Pulled a splinter: Opinions Please
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2009, 08:01:39 am »
No offense Dana , and I hope it works out for ya, but I'd start a new bow. I'd have a hard time shipping it to someone else with a splinter like that in it, even after I repaired it.Just my 2 cents.  ;)
 I know if you are looking into shoulder surgery you probably don't have a lot of time to make a new one before you go under the knife. Making bows while you are hurting is no fun. I know.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2009, 09:01:29 am »
Time for honesty. I would never give a way a flawed bow. To me, that's  a tomato stake. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Little John

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2009, 09:29:01 am »
Dana, good luck with the bow and  extra good luck with the shoulder.  Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2009, 10:12:03 am »
I am like you George, never give away a flawed bow. All my bow fixes are repairs to other people's bows done as a favor. I do repairs on my old bows from time to time but these bows stay with me.

The bow in the wrap failure picture is a Vincent Minor Cane Dragon, on it's 5th owner if I remember correctly. After the wrap failed the owner gave it to me so I could recover the take-down sleeves.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2009, 07:07:13 am »
The bow won't be given away, but I'm going to push the limits of the repair as a learning experience :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2009, 08:51:48 am »
Eric the one that held in your picture was splintered on the belly....not the back. Big difference. I've glued splinters on the belly with no wrap and they hold fine because its under compression not tension. I would tend to agree with you on the glue being a factor. Urac is good stuff.  I don't like to see obvious repairs on any bow. I'd rather just start over and make another one. JMO....
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2009, 12:33:34 pm »
OK, Dana, I hear ya. I would glue it down, note where it is with some marks on the belly, back it and then wrap it starting an inch or 2 before and continuing to a inch or 2 after.  I would choose a quick and easy backing like silk, burlap or linen. That's what I would do. Then I'd put it up in the rafters because shooting a bow like that would give me pause. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Shooter_G22

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2009, 01:06:01 pm »
DanaM, 

i didnt know your shoulder was injured and going to go through a surgery...

i hope all turns out well i will put in some nee mail and tell the boys to do the same...  let us know how your surgery goes...   when will you be having it????

Offline DanaM

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2009, 01:30:04 pm »
Talked with the surgeon yesterday and it looks like some physical therapy, apears I have some shoulder muscles
that are atrophied. Most likely cause is a comination of a less than stellar rotator cuff surgery and some surgery I had
on my neck when I was 3 years old, figures they hit a nerve for some muscles in the shoulder ??? He said there is a surgery he could
perform but doesn't recomment it as it requires moving some muscles from somewhere else. So I will do my PT and hope for the best :)

Shooter, I'm not going to send this bow to ya, don't want anyone getting hurt. I will start on a replacement but it may take a little while.
I have nice dry piece of hard maple, I'll go for a rigid handle 50#@28"  :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI