Author Topic: Pulled a splinter: Opinions Please  (Read 10813 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Pulled a splinter: Opinions Please
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 06:34:38 am »
Pappy its maple but don't know what kind ??? I cut the tree last winter, it was just a little one maybe 4" diameter,
split it and took the bark off. Roughed it out this spring with a machete, and had it in the house drying all summer.
Don't think the splinter was caused by dry rot, it goes down one growth ring, there is a smakk knot on the belly where it stated,
the knot doesn't go all the way to the back but I believe its just a bit stiffer at the knot which caused the splinter to lift.
The bow was basically done I had shot it at my short draw many times, but its tillered to 28" so I had it on the tree working it,
The bow has no string follow and maybe even a little reflex after setting a bit.

Shooter I haven't given up on it, I have a stubborn streak in me ;) It may not be quite so pretty when I'm done but then again
I'm not so pretty either :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 08:42:43 am »
Well its wrapped and soaked in glue, guess I will see what happens eh :-\
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 08:46:55 am »
Good luck with it Dana, looks like a bad splinter to me...but I'd be curious to see if it can be saved and holds up. I know you've made your mind up, but if I wanted to give it the best potential of surviving I'd wrap it in the area of the split and rawhide back it, then put your birch bark back on. A lot of trouble...but the bow wants to live...poor bow... Dr. Dana, is bow going to make it? ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 08:48:08 am »
Oops, you beat me to the "Post" button...forget my last posting! Best of luck! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 09:02:54 am »
Greg that was the last of my birch bark so I decided to try the wrap with thread and superflue method.
This is my first serious splinter, guess I've been lucky eh

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 09:13:23 am »
You asked for opinions and I only gave you mine Dana.  ::) I've seen this kind of thing happen before and it never ends well with a thread wrap. IMO a rawhide or another type of backing is the only permanent fix for that problem, wrapping a limb with thread and glue isn't a permanent fix, kind of like duct taping the bumper on your car. It might get you down the road for now.....but.  ;)  Just trying to help.  ;)  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline DanaM

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 09:22:28 am »
Ryan thats a better explanation than you gave before, thank you :)

I'm not willing to go through the work of stripping the bow down to rawhide it, at that point the real answer is make a new bow :)

I'm interested to see what is going to happen with the thread patch if I hear one tick I will dissect the bow to try and figure out why it popped
in the first place.

Manistique, MI

Offline Little John

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 09:25:53 am »
I am with Greg on this one, looks like a pretty bad splinter, good lock.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 01:07:57 pm »
Dana....just to clear the air on this one....just how much of that Splinter was wood splinter....and how much was Birch Bark?? Looks like mostly Bark from this end of the Picture.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 01:49:15 pm »
I have only had one wrap repair fail and I didn't go past the crack on either side with my wrap, lesson learned. For the most bullet proof repair I use a syringe full of urac and inject it very deeply into the crack. Clamp the crack while the urac cures and follow with a generous braided nylon serving string wrap soaked in superglue.

Have you done a lot of wrap repairs Ryno? I have done about 10, all but the one mentioned are still shooting years after the repairs, they are a permanent fix in my opinion. Half were sinew, half were thread.  Here is the worst, a bow broken in half except for the bamboo backing, cracked and splintered for 6" of the limb and into the fades.

The break

The sinew wrap where the broken ends come together.

Still shooting, urac is the key, pretty bullet proof stuff.

Just took a picture of the wrap that failed.

I mis read the break which was at a node on a bamboo backed bow. I only wrapped the section below the node, I should have wrapped the node as well. Here is the failed section after the wrap.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 02:05:28 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 02:39:17 pm »
                                           Man that was a waste of some Purty Sturgeon Hides too!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 04:29:45 pm »
Mike the birch bark was no thicker thana piece of paper, the splinter looked to be one growth ring thick, Eric now thats a splinter :o :D

Gonna try pulling it on the tree in a little bit.

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 04:50:47 pm »
I just hope it didn't have any Spalt in it...I bought a Maple Stave from a good Guy named John in Tennessee once last year....and it looked great had nice grain....beautiful color....I had it out to about 24 inches....and Blam.....and when it broke....the Air had a very slightly noticeable musty smell for just an Instant.....but then once I opened the crack up good and smelled of it....you could smell the Musty smell in the wood.....good luck and keep us informed......
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 05:35:53 am »
Pulled it to 24" about 50 times so far so good, no time to play today though :( Going to see the surgeon about the shoulder
sure hope he can repair it, hope he doesn't suggest I wrap it and soak it in super glue :o :D

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2009, 06:03:41 am »
That would be better than sawing it into pieces and cooking brats with it.  ;) ;D ;D Good luck with the shoulder.Don't want you to have any excuses when I kick your butt on the range at the
Classic. :) :) I have done several rap repairs with mostly success,some aren't to pretty but have held up.
I usually try and make a nice rap and then match the other limb once I see the repair works and it don't look to bad. :)
  Pappy
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 06:07:03 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good