Author Topic: Funny things that happen with a warbow  (Read 11051 times)

Ian B

Funny things that happen with a warbow
« on: January 19, 2009, 11:03:26 pm »
Well i was given some stag horn and decided to try them out as nocks, so far so good i made the nocks they looked really nice. I thought what the hell glue them on a 165 lbs laminate bow i made to train up my draw weight ( thanks for the advice marlon helped very well) . After letting the glue dry for 24 hours, i used my tiller string put my foot on it in the middle and pulled at first just a little bit good they seemed to hold. OK lets see whats happens when i pull with all my might.

Well one nock blew the bow flew away and my right hand went straight into my balls. The next test i did was to see how fast i can hit the floor as i found out, i was very fast. the third test was can my eyes water they passed. after about 10 Min's i could move.

anyone else as stupid  ;D

regards Ian

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 11:09:02 pm by Ian B »

Offline sailordad

Re: Funny things that happen with a warbow
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 11:33:21 pm »
dude i just wet myself,  that was sooo funny ;D :D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Ian B

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 11:36:16 pm »
that is the idea its about time we had a laugh here ;D

Ps. I do not use stag horn for nocks ;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 12:05:42 am by Ian B »

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 12:33:06 am »
Too bad you didn't get it on video... that would be classic you tube stuff!! Very funny, and that is why I brace with push/pull. However, admittedly, I have whacked myself in the side of the head using that method.

Badbill

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 01:16:17 am »
I was just getting ready for bed, now I can't sleep do to laughing so much! ;D :D

Ian B

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 01:40:27 am »
I have some more i will try and post one each day

stevesjem

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 05:37:42 am »
Nice one Ian,
Just a bit of advise mate, don't use it again ;D
BTW, Moose antler works a treat as do Warthog tusks.

Steve

triton

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 08:30:13 am »
funny tale  :D but what's wrong with stag antler?  apart from it wearing out saw blades, expensive warding files, tile saw blades, I've found it works ok on bows up to 100LB so far. 

stevesjem

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 08:38:55 am »
I have tried to use it and it has always given way due the fact that the core is not solid, it is more of a honeycombe and as such is quite week.
Well done if you have managed to make it work.

steve

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 08:45:46 am »
funny tale  :D but what's wrong with stag antler?  apart from it wearing out saw blades, expensive warding files, tile saw blades, I've found it works ok on bows up to 100LB so far. 
Mike,
Are you soaking it for a week first?  It really helps.

triton

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 09:09:37 am »
I cut the tines off the branches then trim the tines back until the marrow is no longer there.  2 year olds have smaller antlers so the tines are ok for lighter bows, bigger bows have antler from 5 year old stags.  I haven't been soaking it, thanks for the nod.  how long does it need to dry out to a serviceable condition?
If the marrow is about 1/4" across, by the time the hole is bored for 1/2" tips, there's no marrow left, which left plenty of horn for shaping.
I like the character of tines that have the ridges but doesn't take a shine like buffalo horn.

Offline heavybow

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 11:18:23 am »
Ian mate dont loose the balls. Cant wait to get my warbows. Cheers Marlon ;)

tasso

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 06:19:17 pm »
Ian,
Don't be put off by your experience, some stag tines are more solid than others, so be selective when buying them, and only specify tips with more meat in them, and  by the time the tip is drilled out, there's only solid antler left.
Chris Boyton.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Et_tu_brute

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 06:23:05 pm »
That's a great looking nock Chris, to go on what looks like a lovely Yew bow as well. Is that the natural shape of the stag antler or did you do some carving?

tasso

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 06:29:53 pm »
That's a great looking nock Chris, to go on what looks like a lovely Yew bow as well. Is that the natural shape of the stag antler or did you do some carving?
That was the basic shape of the antler, and  was only shaped up in the places where it was needed.
The bow was made by Annette Stickler, a friend of mine, using only an axe, and  scrapers. I just prepared the tips for her.
Chris Boyton.