Author Topic: Splicing Billets  (Read 9867 times)

Offline bigcountry

Splicing Billets
« on: January 19, 2009, 05:12:07 pm »
I have never spliced billets.  To me, it looks like the ultimate ring violation.  I am thinking about trying another yew bow.  But with spliced billets. 

Has anyone ever done this?  Would you consider it strong with a Z-splice?  I guess you would want a stiff handle design?  Not semi-bend in the handle?
Westminster, MD

Offline Jesse

Re: Splicing Billets
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 05:34:29 pm »
Never spliced yew but I have with osage. I think you will want a stiff handle but I have heard of people getting away with a little bend. From my experience you want a flat bottom so you can make accurate cuts on the band saw.  Its not too hard. Go for it :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 05:41:13 pm »
good timing hope this helps,  I was just getting ready to post this in the buildalongs

[attachment deleted by admin]
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 06:36:59 pm »
You definetly don't want it to bend through the splice. I've been messing around splicing billets lately and yes you need the bottom of the billets absolutely flat or your splice won't fit together for crap. I prefer the W splice over the Z splice it gives more glueing surface area. I also prefer urac glue for splices as the fit doesnt need to be perfect with urac. It will fill the gaps and voids and still be strong enough. It also allows for heat corections with out damaging your glue joint.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 08:45:15 pm »
I have some osage, sliced off a big plank, that has some old splits near the ends.   too close to make shorter bows, they'd be really short.  So, i have been thinking of something like Hickory backed osage, with the upper and lower limbs initially separate.   My plan was to make a long taper on each piece, glue the up with epoxy, add handle material and make a stiff, non-bendy handle so the glue would not pop off.  I'd run the hickory over the whole thing in one piece.  I'm guessing that Jawge and a few others might be able to steer me right on this one.    Sorry for sidetracking the thread, but maybe splices are splices and we can all learn something.  OK, sitting down and listening now: Piper

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 09:06:42 pm »
With all the nasty wild wood I have to work with around here, I do take advantage of billets. TBB Vol 1, p 210, by John Strunk suggests inserting thin shims into any sloppy cuts.  It is easy to cut Z-joints from flat boards...it isn't easy to cut nice Z's using wild, twisty wood.  Strunk's advice has added much to using local wood for my bows over the years.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 09:24:19 pm »
I agree.   Holding everything square is tough with wild, twisty wood. 

Did you ever use epoxy/sawdust peanut-butter to glue the stave onto a square of plywood?  That way, the stave can't roll around during the cutting.  (Cutting straight, thin slices off maple splits for violin ribs taught me that little gimmick)

Lining up the stave on the ply base will let you use the fence for the straight cuts, and taper cutting the ply base of the other side lets you use the fence for the angle cuts, too. 

piper

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 09:58:56 pm »
Thanks guys for all the detailed replies.  Sounds as if its critical to find the right billets that mate each other well.

I was also wondering about raven's cap he put on.  I imagine that is very important.

But it sounds like its common enough.  I am working on my 4th bow.  And first two did not turn out too well.    So maybe its something for me to try later if I see the right billits.

I appreciate the info.
Westminster, MD

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 10:13:36 pm »
We've spliced quite a few bows with the w-splice and urac with good results. The grip usually hides the bulk of the splice. Excellant way to get more bow's out of a tree! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 09:54:37 am »
Draw your splice on a piece of paper, cut out your drawing and glue it to your wood lining the center of the drawing with a center line on your billet. Much easier than drawing on a billet. I glue the paper pattern on with Elmer's white glue.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 10:24:11 am »
Some great info here. If you want more read these. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,983.msg9425/topicseen.html#msg9425
bowyersworkshop.com/splicing1.htm                    Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 10:45:24 am »
Thanks Justin, I was looking for that to post here. The self adhesive label works great! Eric Krewson also gave me the advice that gluing the handle adds a lot of strength to the splice. Good luck.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956