Author Topic: books on western points  (Read 3879 times)

Offline Blacktail

books on western points
« on: January 14, 2009, 10:06:26 pm »
man,i have been looking all over the place to find a book on westen points and cant find any thing...all the books i come across are about midwest,eastern,southern...the closest that i come to is a book by paul overstreet..does any one know of any western points books..thanks john

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: books on western points
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 10:13:13 pm »
  I have a book on points of Texas.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 10:05:58 am »
There is one by Noel D. Justice called Stone Age Spear and Arrow Points of California and the Great Basin.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 12:56:16 pm »
The Justice book is at Amazon in hardback as of yesterday.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 08:10:03 pm »
SILENT ARROWS BY Earl F. Moore has a lot of pictures found in the Oregon desert.  Lot of different types of points pictured there.  Not exactly a study on all western points and tools, but a great demonstration of the desert lake culture.  Dates back to the days of the camels.  If you have not been to the museum in Klamath Falls it is worth the trip as it has thousands of all kinds of artifacts including still mounted atal atal darts.  Lots of variations in the types of animals and fish available for hunting if you are considering the entire west cultures and therefore a very broad range of point types represented.  Another book with a whole different style of points is INDIAN ARTIFACTS by Virgil Y. Russell.  Some excellent reading is a series of books called THUNDER OVER THE OCHOCO by Gale Ontko (five volumes)!  Watcher

Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline uwe

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 09:01:54 am »
I have a reprinted book of 1894, orig. by =.T.Mason, Smithonian Inst. 1893. You can get the german translation at "Hudson`s Bay Indian Trading Post in Bavaria, Robert Wagner. Sketches of bows, arrows and quiver by northamerican Natives and Eskimos in the 1 capitel and in 2 tools and points.
Another book is :Indian Trade Goods and Replicas, Preston E. Milller, Carolyn Corey, ISBN: 0-7643-0531-X
Hope, it helps!
Regards Uwe

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 09:35:23 pm »
hey thanks guys for the info i will write it down...wolf,i haven't been to k-falls in some time i will have to check it out...i was all so thinking about going to the warm spring res museum and seeing what they have..john