Author Topic: bending limbs for a recurve  (Read 6722 times)

Hat Creek

bending limbs for a recurve
« on: January 14, 2009, 10:08:57 am »
I want to try and bend wood to make a recurve as was done in the April/May issue of PA on page 13.  My questions are, do I steam the wood or actually boil it, and how long should I keep it clamped?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bending limbs for a recurve
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 10:21:26 am »
Hat, first off, what wood are you dealing with?  A good rule of thumb is...dry heat for dry wood, wet heat for wet wood!     Generally when I heat straighten wood or recurve limb tips I like to keep the wood in a form until tomorrow. That way I am sure the wood has completely cooled inside and out.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Hat Creek

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 11:35:50 am »
I am using dry hichory.  When you say dry heat are you talking about a heat gun?

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 12:03:20 pm »
Yep,a heat gun works very well,I was amazed the 1st time I saw it used on osage ,and that stave moved like butter melting! So try it out,I suggest a little cooking oil,and go easy,dont hold it in one spot too long.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 12:56:26 pm »
Hickory isn't going to respond like osage does to heat. I think for a recurve sealing the area to be bent
in shellac and steaming it will give better results. Just my opinion.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 01:47:36 pm »
I have always had better luck with steaming for drastic bends like static recurves, especially in whitewood. With osage or locust, dry heat and grease works well.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 03:21:06 pm »
I would do as Dana suggested and seal the area to be bent with shellac(not varnish) first before steaming or boiling. The shellac will prevent the moisture from the steam from entering the dry wood and shellac isn't effected by the moisture or heat but can be scraped or sanded off later.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Hat Creek

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 04:06:35 pm »
Thank you all for your valuable input

Hat Creek

Judson

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 06:48:43 pm »
   I have built a lot of Penobscot bows both recurves and static recurves.  I found that for bending the wood this bending tank I made from a Brownell's blueing tank workes great.   I use a brass strap on the belley of the limbs so fibers do not lift.   I either use a form or blocke to get the bend I want.    The tank is filled with water ad I get it boiling, you can tell when the wood is ready to bend because when you flex it there is no "springy" feel to it.    This usually takes about 15 minuits of cooking at full boil.    When ready crank in the bend slowly counting the turns so you can duplicate the same bend on the other limb.

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 07:17:51 pm »
Nice rig.  I am going to try that.