Author Topic: flint knapping of the month  (Read 8961 times)

Offline Blacktail

flint knapping of the month
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:44:23 pm »
now pa has bows of the month.why cant there be chipper of the month  ;D ;D....i think there is some really good flint knapper on here...where is my congress man. ::)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: flint knapping of the month
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 11:54:36 pm »
As long as Cowboy, Wolf Watcher, and billy are allowed to enter I a not even going to try ;) O:) all kidding aside would be a great idea..Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 12:54:59 am »
Sounds like a good idea to me. 8) 
 Since I'm not good enough to enter, I propose I be the judge and all the non winners be sent to me. ;D Of course, I would always pick the very best one to win...really ::)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 01:56:33 am »
I have thought about this before..
 I think there are allot variables.

Mililani Hawaii

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 06:21:41 am »
We have talked about it and I think Cowboy was going to try and put something togeather on this thread,ant heard anything about it in a while.Maybe he will chime in with some info. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 08:16:11 am »
Good eye-deer,maybe post a particular point type/style and see all the points that get posted.I'm sure there are a few on here that will knock em' out of the park, but will give the rest of us something to strive for.
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 09:09:19 am »
I've been thinking about this myself. Instead of a general deal like with bow of the month, I would prefer something that we could learn from and have some fun in the process. On another knapping site, they have a "monthly knapper's challenge" where a certain point type or material is selected, and everybody makes their version of it. We could learn a lot about point types and techniques from different parts of the country, and get to see some nice eye candy. For example, we could decide to try a Newnan point style from Florida, or a dovetail, or Lost Lake, whatever. Someone would post a pic of an original or a good example, and we could see what each one of us could make in that style. We could either leave it at that, or put up a poll at the end of the month. Whatch'all think?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 09:18:42 am »
i like that idea Hillbilly!
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 09:44:07 am »
ok they guys, here is your first challenge, anyone got granite skills...and i want it to scale

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 09:45:43 am »
but i do honestly think its a great idea,  ::)  even though this busted fingered, abo knapper wont ever make the grade   ;D ;D
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 10:08:13 am »
I've been thinking about this myself. Instead of a general deal like with bow of the month, I would prefer something that we could learn from and have some fun in the process. On another knapping site, they have a "monthly knapper's challenge" where a certain point type or material is selected, and everybody makes their version of it. We could learn a lot about point types and techniques from different parts of the country, and get to see some nice eye candy. For example, we could decide to try a Newnan point style from Florida, or a dovetail, or Lost Lake, whatever. Someone would post a pic of an original or a good example, and we could see what each one of us could make in that style. We could either leave it at that, or put up a poll at the end of the month. Whatch'all think?
Some of us just call them points, we don't know any better. Even if we just did a certain point type (and tell us what it is) with whatever rock you can get your hands on I think it would be better than a general competition.  We might get some education out of it.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 01:11:12 pm »
 As Steve (hillbilly) said. No competion, just chippin, lyin', chawin, spittin, and such ! ; :o Sorry could not resist ! ;D Then send point ta someone yer like er someone yer dont like as the case may be !.............bob

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 02:19:40 pm »
I like Steve's idea.  Educational and challenging.  Even a hack like me can benefit. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline knap_123

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 02:37:02 pm »
ok somebody start a new thread tittled this months point jan. or whatever. post a point and lets all try and makeone, any size, rock, glass, as long as it that point style.   and i say it does'nt have to be yours, just a pic from a photo or whatever. but you shouald at least try and make it if you pick it though.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 10:47:34 pm »

Twisted limbs, for what you would have to pay for shipping, you could have made locally...... ;D

Wayne