Author Topic: About to splice - help  (Read 7137 times)

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
About to splice - help
« on: January 10, 2009, 03:29:11 pm »
I am about to attempt my first splice job and looking for some help.

I can't decide on the Z splice or the W splice,  which do you prefer?
and how do you feel about drilling the hole and using a dowel to prevent slippage?

thanks guys,

cheers,
Jamie
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: About to splice - help
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 04:14:13 pm »
Jamie, A "Z" splice is the easiest and if both halves are prepared correctly, you can cut both at the same time allowing them to match better.  There is no reason to pin the splice with a dowel. That will actually weaken the spliced area. Take your time with the cuts. Do a dry run to be sure the splices fit each other and if they are a little off you can heat both halves, push the splice together and clamp until cool. This will help the glue surfaces to mate.  I just learned this not long ago from Eric K.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 04:24:08 pm »
thanks pat,

I am currently during practice runs, using the Z on 2x4's.  I have been cutting them seperately and have been getting decent fits, 

I will do a practice with cutting them together,

thanks for the advice regarding the dowel,

www.ravenbeak.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 04:25:28 pm »
If you have a camera, take a few pics to show others how its done.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 04:28:34 pm »
good idea-  will do
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 04:41:06 pm »
ok,

can the splice extend into the fades at all or should it be only in the harrow section of the handle?
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 05:24:55 pm »
A 4" splice is all you need and it should be centered in the handle. You don't want any bending at all around the splice.     You will have to cut your handle shape width wise before you cut the splice or loose most of it when the handle is shaped.   Pat

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 06:13:41 pm »
I did test pieces of 2x4 - one set cut seperately and one set cut together,  the set cut together turned out much nicer.

I then did a test of the the short limbs left over from my billets and cut them together.   They didn't turn out very nice,  quite a lot of twist.  The splice wasn't very pretty but I glued them up anyways with a 2 part epoxy and clamped them,  and they are currently drying.

for the nice set I think I am going to cut them seperately,  I didn't like the stacked setup as the backs are not perfectly flat and things wanted to shift.
'
so here goes,

www.ravenbeak.com

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 07:22:42 pm »
alright,  I've got the z splice cut in my good billets and things seem to line up pretty good.

I have heard talk about getting the splice wet and clamping it before gluing to improve the fit,  so,   should i just go ahead and soak both ends or steam them, or does it matter.

thanks again,

i've been taking pics so when it's done i'll post it in the build alongs,

cheers,
Jamie
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 09:59:54 pm »
I've steamed splices to get a better fit but now, I hate getting moisture in an already dry stave. The dry heat, like Eric suggested, would do the same without the moisture.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 10:31:24 pm »
I'm with Pat on the dowels. The only time I tried that, the handle split right through the middle of the dowel holes after about a hundred shots.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 01:25:46 am »
thanks guys,

I did end up steaming the splices,  I was also hesitant about getting moisture into the dry wood,  but i haven't played around with heat guns much as of yet,  and I was worried about over heating the thin points of the cuts.

the handle is clamped up now and will be for a couple days, it is amazing what a difference that made.  the splice looks way way better than it did before heating and clamping.

I won't be using the dowel, 

as for glue,  what do you guys use?

thanks,
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline bcbull

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 02:38:40 am »
urac 185 hands down for splices i wont use anything else for it  brock

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 10:23:04 am »
First of all a Z splice is fine most of the time but if you are planning on making a narrowed handle a W splice is a much better choice.  You can make the splice shorter and still keep the same strength, I make mine 2".  It is a bit more effort to get the fit just right but when you narrow the handle much of the splice is left since the length of the splice fits inside your hand.  With a Z splice when you narrow the handle and the arrow pass you actually weaken the splice to where it can let go since you are cutting away supporting wood on both sides of the splice, been there done that.  You've already cut your splice so just be careful when you shape the handle
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 11:11:48 am »
I like my splices to hide completely under the handle leather so I often make them shorter than 4", usually between 3" and 4". I always put a cap on the shorter splices for added strength like the one in the picture. I only make Z splices and have never has one come apart, I only use Urac-185, nothing else.

Here is the cap picture, gluing the extra piece on.

Shaped and finished.

I always glue on a block for a rest and shape it to the above configuration. After my first cut in rest bow broke at the cut, I haven't cut in another sight window and rest since.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 11:18:44 am by Eric Krewson »