Author Topic: Hurray for Hawthorne  (Read 7397 times)

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
Hurray for Hawthorne
« on: January 03, 2009, 01:27:22 am »
I made a bow from hawthorne several years ago which only was so-so.  The limb I used then was pretty slender.
I cut the limb for this bow from fairly luxuriant brush along our popular Clark Fork (from Lewis & Clark fame) last winter. There
is a lot more there, too.
This bow is kind of a Holmgaard style. If I had the design more in mind when I started, it would have been more typical of a
Holmgaard.
One limb (you can see this in the bandsaw picture) was very reflexed. I heat-gunned a little reflex into the opposite limb and realigned the tips, somewhat.
Anyway, it is 62" ntn with 1.5" limbs just above the handle and tapering to 1 3/8" as it enters 9" x 3/8" tips.
The handle is bendy based on recommendations from this site:
http://www.fiarc.org/public/Forum/Data/jeval/2005102714414_Tillering%20the%20Holmegaard%20Bow-2.pdf
The handle has a wrap of soft 1/8" suade and 1/8" glossy leather trim. This same glossy trim highlights the transition from limb to
tip.
The bow is stained with an old mixture of reddish? Minwax stains with Minwax Ebony for the tips. Several coats of Minwax satin
polyurethane seals it up.
The bow pulls 47# at 26"
There is no set after all the stress I have applied to the bow and after shooting it  dozens of times. No hand shock either.
Got to say...I'm pretty impressed with hawthorne.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 01:32:48 am by OldBow »
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Hurray for Hawthorne
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 01:32:34 am »
Thats an Impressive bow Don...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

AKAPK

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 02:04:26 am »
Lookin good buddy :)

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 04:14:42 am »
Very good job Don. That is a very nice bow and a serious contender foe Jan. bow of the month. I am a big fan of the holmie type, love the way they shoot and the total lack of hand shock. Well you did that piece of wood proud, enjoy.  Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 07:33:52 am »
Very nice bow.  I like that detail on the tips.  How was the Hawthorne to work with?  It sure came out nice.
Traverse City, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 09:58:53 am »
Looks great Don, I really like the detail work on the grip and tips :)
I am curious how wide and thick the tips are though??
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 10:50:38 am »
Very nice bow Don. I like hawthorne too..... ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline OldBow

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 01:31:31 pm »
Forgot to mention that the tip overlays are yew.
-Dana, the Holmgaard tips are 9"L x1/2"W x 5/8"H  Some reference, perhaps the one cited, suggested the shape.
-Ryan, both you and Gordon, have made wonderful bows from hawthorne.  You guys inspired me.

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 02:11:06 pm »
Howdy OldBow, and Happy Holidays to all,

This bow looks terrifically deadly - very nice!!  I'm impressed and encouraged.

I've recently been rereading some material on the Holmegaard Bow including, 'Tillering the Holmegaard Bow' by Dennis La Varenne (a copyrighted, PDF file). 
I am especially glad to hear that this type of bow can be produced and shot with little to no handshock. 
A question I have had with this type of bow is in its general efficiency.  Doesn't it lose energy by having to propel those long, heaver outer sections?  Or, are those outer sections not so heavy and therefore contribute to its efficiency?

On this bow you made, you referred to it as "bendy handle."  But, as I look at it, I can't see where it bends through the handle at all?  When I hear the term "bendy handle," I think of an ELB-type (or D-bow) where there is a working handle

Your comments and knowledge are always appreciated.

All the best,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 02:46:08 pm »
Thanks Don :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline OldBow

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 04:41:47 pm »
I shouldn't have used the term "bendy" handle. It is more a hump handle. I tried to reduce as much stress on the limbs as possible by  Even the flare into the handle was seen to flex a bit.
Read below from the cited reference:

"This type of handle has a signal advantage. It allows the limbs to bend very slightly into the handle rise3, thus relieving some of the strain on the bending part of the inner limb. On a hump style handle, the dip begins from the mid-handle where it is thickest. On a parallel handle, the dips begin at the ends of the parallel sections."

It is my understanding the outer limb "tips" because of their stiffness act like an atlatyl or catapult to put more energy into the arrow.
Anyone else have an explanation?

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 06:45:18 pm »
i like that shape very much!
great job!
love them little bows!

jamie

Offline Jesse

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 07:33:35 pm »
Awesome bow oldbow. I like everything about it :) Now you have to say BOOKMARKED FOR JANUARY BOM ;D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Little John

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 07:51:23 pm »
Don, thanks for the link on tillering the holmegard bow. I am working on one and need all the input I can get. Hope mine comes out as good as yours. Oh well if not there is more wood out there.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 08:11:26 pm »
Very nice job on your Hawthorne bow Don! Impressive... ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...