Author Topic: Heat Guns  (Read 10242 times)

nailbender

Re: Heat Guns
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 06:24:23 pm »
  The gun I have is a 1200 watt Wagner from Wal-Mart. Found it in the paint department for about $24.00. I have found that at the 4" distance mentioned in TBB4 it does take a long time to temper the belly. But, by decreasing the distance to about 2"-3" it does go faster, and I think it still gives the wood a good heat soak because the back of the bow still gets plenty warm by the time the belly turns a nice dark brown color.

Dale

CutNShoot

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 11:19:25 pm »
hum I thinkin  that if you twisted it back together that would shorten the circuit or lessen the resistance and make it hotter. LOL! I may be wrong since a few screw drivers are in the computer.. LOL!

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 01:52:31 pm »
Mine is a Wagner from Ace Hardware. Has two settings with the maximum @ 1200 watts. Works great.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline bambule

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 02:39:38 pm »
I've got a german model "Steinel". The cheapest version costs $20 and has 1600W. It's for industrial use - the better ones are with thermal regulation, up to $80.
http://www.steinel.de/en/thermo_fuer_heimwerker/heissluftgeblaese

Greetz
Cord
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 08:03:19 pm by Justin Snyder »
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 07:57:03 pm »
Your thinking is right on CutNShoot but the increase is not noticeable. 
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 11:51:00 pm »
A heat gun is a bit more convenient than a fire or burner because you can always keep a closer watch on your progress. Tempering over a stove will have you needing to take a peak more frequently. Not that that is a big deal.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 12:33:47 pm »
It takes about half as long to do it over a fire or the burner though.....it does such a large area at once.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 10:50:40 pm »
I've done a few over a hardwood fire and it is nice and fast plus it's much more fun than sitting in a shop monitoring a heat gun.  The heat gun does a nicer job though

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline jkekoni

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 04:39:22 am »
The Biltema tunable heat gun is good.

I have also seen pictures about aluminium foil and blowtorch used.

http://www..biltema.fi/osteri/osteri.cgi?tuote=17008&sivu=17008.htm&ryhmaid=154&SID=814727783110353853924
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 09:34:47 am by Justin Snyder »

Offline mobow

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 06:15:52 pm »
Most of us can probably get by with a lesser heat gun than Marc.  I have 60 degrees on him before I even turn my heat gun on.   8^).  keith

Shooter_G22

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 01:37:03 am »
i went to harbor frieght on sunday to go get a heat gun...  they were all out and i'm going to have to go to another location to pick one up i will probably do that this week end...  the one im going to try and get is on sale right now for 9.99 but regular price is 19.99 and it is a 1500 watt dual temperature heat gun...   it is orange though i think its a chicago electric power tools brand...  i hope this one will be ok... for what im planning to use it for im not going to be useing as much as some of the guys on this board use theres but i think im going to go with this ones just becuae of harbor frieghts no hasal waranty plan... i like dealing withthem and they praticaly know me there sooo i would rather deal with them anyway...  i almost bought one from o'rally's auto parts jsut cause i saw one there for about 24.99  or 29.99  and it looked pretty descent but then i thought why spend 30 bucks and then if it went out on me i wouldnt be able to take it back like at harbor frieght...   plus i have had really good luck with tools from harbor freight and hell its hard to beat that price... ;)

tommy6

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 10:18:23 am »
Shooter G22,
Keep the warranty, I have gone thru 2 of those Chicago heat guns as described in my post above. Works great while it lasts though.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 12:44:31 pm »
I went through 4 harbor freight one's in less than a year....then I bought a good one (I believe its a Wagner) thats lasted me three years and counting. You get what you pay for..... ::) In my opinion the harbor freight ones aren't worth the aggravation.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline DanaM

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 12:47:50 pm »
I also have a Wagner, 2 speed fan and I believe 4 heat settings cost about$25 and going strong
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2009, 11:23:17 pm »
Could be the sub zero temps here are affecting the heat output of the heat gun  :)

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com