Author Topic: Heat Guns  (Read 10240 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Heat Guns
« on: January 02, 2009, 09:47:06 am »
I found out something over the last few weeks and that is that not all heat guns are created equal.  My old heat gun that I bought many years ago to make heat treating easier finally gave up on me a few weeks ago.  Naturally I went out and bought another.  This one only used 1275 watts as compared to the 1500 watts my old one used.  What a difference.  I couldn't do anything with it so I brought it back.  I went back to where I had bought my old one but all they stocked was a B&D that used 1375 watts.  That was better but still  not as good as I was used to and made the job much slower.  So I took my old one apart and had a look at it.  The heating coil had burnt through so I twisted it back together and I'm now back in business. 

The moral of this story is you need at least 1500 watts out of your heat gun to do the job properly.  Of course a good hardwood fire does as good a job but when there's 2' of snow out and temps are -20 C it doesn't make heat treating a bow very interesting
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline cracker

Re: Heat Guns
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 09:59:33 am »
Thanks for sharing that info. I had noticed that it took much longer than the article in tbb stated to do the job. I think I'll take a look at my heat gun maybe I can speed thing up a little.
Thanks Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 10:32:24 am »
glad you mentioned that, I was thinking of getting one soon.
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 10:34:36 am »
Sorry to hear that, I have a Toasting job to do soo. I checked my heat gun and it is 1200 watts.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 11:06:35 am »
                Well I guess I will just use mine to dry the Dogs from Now On.....since it's only an 1100 Watt Black and Decker
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

John B.

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 11:24:20 am »
                Well I guess I will just use mine to dry the Dogs from Now On.....since it's only an 1100 Watt Black and Decker

1100 Watts?  That's a hair dryer, not a heat gun!

I must be old, cause I remember when Black and Decker made real tools...  :P

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 11:27:54 am »

1100 Watts?  That's a hair dryer, not a heat gun!

I must be old, cause I remember when Black and Decker made real tools...  :P

Ooops.....thats 1100 degrees!!! Not Watts............Glad I looked before I dried the Basanji's with it ....eh!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 11:50:29 am »
I noticed that mine is considerable slower also.  I guess I will keep using it since I don't know better.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Mattco

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 11:50:47 am »
I,ve had good luck with the cheepo heat guns from Harber Freight - Prices start at $10.00

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 12:45:10 pm »
Mine is an old B&D and is 1200w. I guess ignorance is bliss because it works fine for me.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 12:55:54 pm »
it looks like everyone owns a heat gun but me, I'm definately gonna have to get one now so I dont feel left out
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 01:00:52 pm »
A hot wood fire or the electric burner on the kitchen stove works better than any heat gun I've tried.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

tommy6

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 03:28:00 pm »
I have gone through 2 heat guns from Harbor freight. It seems that if I have it on for >10 min something in the switch gives out. The gun will work great till I turn it off, than it will never turn on again. These were the orange ones from harbor for $9.99. I have looked at other guns but the cheapest I could find was one at wally world for $70. So I went and got a propane torch for $12, I will see how that works.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 03:55:14 pm »
I have a $20 gun from Lowe's, I've used it for several years, toasted and bent a bunch of wood, and straightened hundreds of arrow shafts with it. Still going strong so far.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 05:39:43 pm »
The original gun that I got was a walmart special direct from China and blue in color.  It cost me $20 and has lasted 5 or 6 years now.  Before that I used a hotplate and it worked well but it was a pain to reflex properly.  Could be that the B&D is not really putting out 1375 watts, just because they say so doesn't mean it does.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com