Author Topic: My First Osage Bow  (Read 3796 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
My First Osage Bow
« on: January 01, 2009, 10:46:22 pm »
I'm glad I made a dozen or so bows with red oak, hickory and ash.  They gave me a decent (beginner's) idea of width vs thickess, length, stiffness.....etc. 

Well, I bought that huge osage timber and sliced off a couple of bows.  Broke the first one due to stupidity and cross grain.  The next one I glued on a hickory backing and during the next month and a half fiddled with making it into a bow. 

I must say that all you guys who rave about osage are right.  I admit it.   Hickory is grand, red oaks works.  But, osage is the king of bow woods. 

Here are some Pics.   I'll find a tape measure and post some specs when I can.  I have not put any finish on it yet, want to shoot it a bit more first and sort of let it "settle in".   At this point it is pulling harder than an old man should shoot.  And, it's hard on my practice arrows when they fly all the way through my target and into the plywood of the shed wall!

Piper

« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 10:50:21 pm by islandpiper »

Offline Jesse

Re: My First Osage Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 11:02:06 pm »
Looks great Piper. That tiller looks sweet. looks like it could draw a lot further with no problem. Hows the shock on a bendy handle? Never shot one. Again Great job
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline dismount

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 11:10:54 pm »
Piper, I think the wood is the correct color,Gold. I think its worth almost what ever you have to do to get some of it. It's intoxicating. Went out day before yesterday and found a 81/2'' Dia. Bois D' Arc straight as a stove pipe on a friends place. cut the top out, cut the trunk and pushed it over directly on my Chainsaw, Perfect! Ripped a couple of holes in my hand from the thorns and had to bust brush to drag it out 150 yds. risking a possible cardiac infarction! :D :D It's still worth it, got at least 5 possible staves curing in my garage.  Osage is considered a nusiance tree around here.  Phil

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 11:16:07 pm »
Jesse, I didn't notice much shock, I was too busy pulling and recovering from it.  

This bowmaking/shooting and arrow chasing is dam good excercise.  

I may be able to pull it farther.   I usually shoot 28" arrows, so I pull 27" or so.  The picture shows my pulling back to the spot on my cheek I usually pull to.  I understand now why the men they found on the Mary Rose had deformed spines.   That never meant much to me when pullling the light bows I've been making.  

i have been working with a big dial fish scale and that told me it was pulling only about 55#......sure feels like more.   Overall length is 60 1/4", 1 1/4" wide at the widest portion of the limb and just about 1/2" thick in the limbs.   Handle is a little narrower and a little thicker.  I'll follow ElDestructo's suggestion and glue on a built up sole leather handle, and then wrap it.  

piper
piper

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 11:21:16 pm »
Great bow, Piper. I love hickory backed osage and Eastern Woodland style bows. Great combo. Next, you will have to try side nocks! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 11:43:44 pm »
Very nice, Piper. Nicely done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 11:47:29 pm »
I like it!  But beware, now that you've had a bite of the yellow stuff, it'll be hard to acquire a taste for much else. ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 06:43:37 am »
Very nice,tiller look good.Bet it's a sweet shooter. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 06:59:07 am »
Well dang ain't you just a bow making machine :) Very nice bow Kieth
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline shamus

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 09:11:32 am »
Nice workmanship on the nocks.