Author Topic: 2nd Annual Christmas Trade Pictures  (Read 176110 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: 2nd Annual Christmas Trade Pictures
« Reply #330 on: January 28, 2009, 07:35:52 pm »
I don't know how recently we've done this, but again, thanks to Dana for all the hard work and the thought of this in the first place.

Yes, thanks Dana.

Madcrow has a good point.  I guess we could either eliminate bows as a gift, or we could allow people to make "back-up" gifts in case someone gets left out.

Or we could send handmade "archery gift cards" with cash inside. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #331 on: January 28, 2009, 10:53:40 pm »
 If you get a bow you can't shoot, trade it, give it to a friend that you want to corrupt, lift weights or stretch your arms. But it does , really blow when everybody post pictures of all the great stuff everybody got  and one or two people stiff somebody. Then you have really nice people, that took this  in the fun, giving, spirit this was meant to be, scrambling to make it right for everybody. It's not right, and I thought it would help make it a FUN tradition that Dana started and take out some of the stress for Dana and everybody involved.

Just a thought I had after seeing it on Tradgang.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #332 on: January 29, 2009, 07:52:56 am »
Guess I will weigh in on this now that a few have voiced their opinion :)

Eddie I like the idea :) I'm thinking a 2 month time limit, if you can't find time in 2 months to make something than tough luck eh.
Also everybody knows this event will take place next year so if your really slow start now ::) I also want to see it stay a handmade gift,
not raw materials or a gift card. A handmade gift has meaning and takes work, materials and/or a gift card is too easy and somewhat impersonal.
We have to allow bows, this is after all a archery site, right. Keep the draw weight reasonable as from what I've seen not many of us shoot above 60#.

At this point only one person hasn't come through, after talking with him he's had a series of unfortunate events take place in his life.
I think we can all sympathize with him especially in today's world. My prayers go out to him. Hope yours do also :)

I have covered for him and the gift will go out today. I'm sure if I was in his shoes someone would cover for me also.
After all aren't we a family, and family looks out for their own eh :)

My biggest complaint with the whole Christmas trade is getting folks to post pictures and e-mail me one decent picture for publication
in the magazine. Here it is Jan 29th and were all still waiting on certain folks to post a picture ??? ??? ??? Also I've only received maybe 10
e-mails, if you want to see yourself in the magazine get off your butts and send me a picture. At this point its not worth my time to put an
article together :o I'm not going to waste my time if you folks can't find a few minutes to post and e-mail me a picture. I could also be spending
my time in the shop, hunting, fishing, or with my family. So please don't waste anymore of my time folks. I'm not going to PM anyone(waste my time)
begging that you e-mail me a picture. At this point I consider the trade done and a success but with a few hiccups.

Hope everyone enjoyed themselves, we'll see ya all at the 3rd Annual Christmas Trade next year eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #333 on: January 29, 2009, 08:58:37 am »
Dana, please let me know who didnt get a gift yet and I will try to send them something so they are not left out.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline DanaM

« Reply #334 on: January 29, 2009, 09:22:54 am »
Dana, please let me know who didnt get a gift yet and I will try to send them something so they are not left out.

Its covered Ryan but thank you anyway :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline TRACY

« Reply #335 on: January 29, 2009, 09:25:54 am »
All sounds reasonable. Dana, if you need help and or tired of trying to get pics from participants, them let me know and I'll help out however I can. Really enjoyed the article in the last issue and see it as an annual article and representation of what PA is all about. Not trying to step on toes, just willing to help out.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Dane

« Reply #336 on: January 29, 2009, 10:11:12 am »
Dana, you did recieve my high-res photo? Are you sure that both your emails work? You gave two emails, and I would have to go back to see which one I used.

Feel free to use my ugly face 40 times for the article :)

The one thing that is so critical in any kind of project like this is good communications. No one should hesitate to say if they will ship late, etc. Then no one will feel left out.

It was a great time. I am glad you are doing it next year. If you need extra elves to help you out next time, just say so.

Dane

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline DanaM

« Reply #337 on: January 29, 2009, 10:34:43 am »
Dane I recieved yours and yes both my e-mails work.
Once more they are as follows

dana1@chartermi.net

mstqsewer@charterinternet.com

Manistique, MI

Offline david w.

« Reply #338 on: January 29, 2009, 06:23:13 pm »
I dont know if I will do it next year.  I tried on my gift and it was one of my better knapped points but after seeing all the other great stuff I sorta feel like a stiffed my person.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Jesse

« Reply #339 on: January 29, 2009, 06:47:35 pm »
I dont know if I will do it next year.  I tried on my gift and it was one of my better knapped points but after seeing all the other great stuff I sorta feel like a stiffed my person.
Thats crazy. :( I dont think its about making an even trade. Its too hard to compare all the different stuff anyway. I wouldnt worry about who's was better. I hope you join again next year :)  I didnt look back at your gift but Im sure it was great. You didnt stiff anyone unless you chose to send nothing.  I wouldnt sweat it.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #340 on: January 29, 2009, 06:53:29 pm »
David....all anyone on here expects is a Gift from the Heart....not a Gift from a Sporting Goods Store....You made it with your own two hands....and thats what made it special...as long as someone tries to make a nice gift.....and not just toss something together....there is no better gift in my Mind....don't judge your handmade gift by any others....thats like judging one child against another....just ain't right.....You had better be back next years....maybe I will draw You!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #341 on: January 29, 2009, 07:06:13 pm »
It ain't about who made the finest gift. It is about the spirit of giving and making something with what you have. Do your best and enjoy the spirit. You made a fine gift. One that I am sure anyone of us would be happy to get.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline david w.

« Reply #342 on: January 29, 2009, 07:11:15 pm »
Ya you all are right.  I shouldnt of thought about it like that
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #343 on: January 29, 2009, 09:40:25 pm »
David, after the Classic your points will look as nice as Pauls and others. Just need to have someone show ou the tricks!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Dustybaer

« Reply #344 on: January 30, 2009, 01:48:34 am »
since i know my recipient has internet problems, i hope it is OK to post pictures of what i sent.  it's an asbell-type quiver, made from one piece of leather, with stiffeners matching the 9 arrows it holds.

[attachment deleted by admin]