Author Topic: Hey Y'all  (Read 7033 times)

Texas Pete

Hey Y'all
« on: December 30, 2008, 06:07:09 pm »
Finally back in town for a few weeks and am finally getting to finish a bow.

I've made several self bows, but have never put a backing on them.  Well, in my travels over the Summer I secured to MONSTER rattlesnake hides. I cleaned them up today And am wanting to use these as backing for my little 60" short bow.

Now, as I said, I've never done this.  My first plan was to Get some BowGrip and some fiberglass cloth and, after gluing the skin on, back the skin with some fiberglass cloth and let the whole mess dry and then sand it out.

The other option was to simply use a good commercial hide glue ( Like Elmers  ;D) and leave the skin bare after gluing it on.

Any and all opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance

Texas Pete

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Hey Y'all
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 06:11:58 pm »
This is PRIMITIVE Archer and we don't like fiberglass. To us it is the "F-word".  Knowing that I can guarantee that everyone here will say glue it with white glue then seal the bow like you would any other bow. Many bows have been done this way and with great results. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 06:18:37 pm »
Some people might say that snake skin is not really a backing.....and more of a decoration.  Any glue (that works on wood and leather) would do the trick.  Hide glue is the best choice if you want to be all primitive about it. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Texas Pete

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 06:27:10 pm »
This is PRIMITIVE Archer and we don't like fiberglass. To us it is the "F-word". 

My apologies oh Great Administrator.  Forgive me for my Blasphemy ;D  I shall say 10 "Hail Justin's" and be redeemed ;D

Some people might say that snake skin is not really a backing.....and more of a decoration.  Any glue (that works on wood and leather) would do the trick.  Hide glue is the best choice if you want to be all primitive about it.  ;D

I was thinking that Patrick.  I got several bottles of Elmers and will give that a shot.

BTW, I see you're in Midland.  I'm a couple hours East of you in Merkel

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 06:36:52 pm »
I shall say 10 "Hail Justin's" and be redeemed

Heheh... :D

Merkel?  That's awesome!  Got any rock out there?  I guess you got plenty of snakes.... ;D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Texas Pete

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 06:42:22 pm »
Rocks?

You mean those various sized hard things that are in EVERY INCH of dirt here?

Nope, havent seen any  ::) ;D

Actually, I got a bunch of flint in the back of my truck and on my porch.  You in need of some?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 02:05:56 am »
No rocks here.....just a bunch of sandstone and riverstone landscaping stuff...so, yep, I need some flint.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 10:47:55 am »
Gotta love trolls. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

DCM

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 11:09:20 am »
Actually, I'd be surprised if any of us are as anal as Justin seems to be about fiberglass.  In fact I know quite a few of "us" have made glass bows as well.  And it's hardly the kind of tone I'd set for the first response to a thread topic anyway.  Perhaps Justin might consider pronouns like I and me versus we and us, because he sure doesn't speak for me.

But I'd not suggest glass is needed or desirable over snake skins.  If you get them down nice and flat with no bubbles, which is where hide glue really shines, and get all the scales off clean without damaging the skin, they are very durable simply covered with several coats of clear like the rest of the bow.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 12:50:38 pm »
DCM, I answered the question, "white glue".  I am not anal about fiberglass, I am anal about rules. It is how we keep the peace around here.  There are a lot of people who feel strongly about FG and most of us (including those who use FG) are real tired of having the fight that you are trying to start.
Rule #3

Topics and posts should be related to primitive archery in some way. If you want to discuss other topics in life there are plenty of other places on the internet you can go. This place is about primitive archery. Discussions on the use of post-industrial materials (yes that means FG) is not allowed here.

Many of the great bowyers on this site use fiberglass.  However this is PRIMITIVE Archer and most people can separate it from Traditional. They know that FG and primitive do not go together and they do not try to mix them. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Texas Pete

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 01:33:30 pm »
No rocks here.....just a bunch of sandstone and riverstone landscaping stuff...so, yep, I need some flint.

I can help you out Patrick.  Drop me a PM with your contact info and I'll get in touch with you

Gotta love trolls :)

I'm sorry HillBilly.  We're you referring to me?

Just to set the record straight, my post wasnt meant to stir up any controversy.  I was simply asking a question.  Maybe my feeble attempt at humor set someone off?  My apologies if it did.

Justin set me straight on his first reply with the rules.  I'll indeed comply in the future.  I simply brought op the "F" word by mistake

I've been with Primitive Archer since its inception when Steve Hulsey had a dream (I was one of the first advertisers as White Eagle Outfitters when I lived in Las Vegas) and have been reading it and Wilderness Way since day one)

Again, my apologies if I offended someone in any way

DCM

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 02:24:56 pm »
Justin,

Just to be clear, I have never suggested that discussion of fiberglass bowyery is appropriate here.  Rather that the tone of your post indicated decided bias against fiberglass generally, which is not shared by everyone here.  But giving the benefit of the doubt, that you were simply clumsy versus being an arse, and accepting the great difficulty being in authority here must represent for some, and appretiating your contribution and all others, perhaps if I am a little more specific we can find common ground.

"This is PRIMITIVE Archer and we don't like fiberglass."

Perhaps this sentence might have been more tactfully crafted as:  This is the Primitive Archer web site, and as such the rules restrict our discussion to primitive archery only, and specifically do not allow discussion of fiberglass, even in the context of a cosmetic or decorative addition to an all wood bow.

"To us it is the "F-word"."

Not sure this really serves any purpose, other than to incite just the sort of contraversy you would attribute to me.  More specifically, unless "us" meant the admin here, or you enjoy multiple personalities or something, you don't speak for "us."

"Knowing that I can guarantee that everyone here will say..."

This is just assinine on the surface, unless you really think you can guarantee what everyone here will say which has obviously already been demonstrated to be false.  So again no point including it in your response at all, if your purpose was solely to clarify the rules.

Shall we continue, or wouldn't it be better to just let sleeping dogs lie?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 02:28:31 pm »
Texas Pete, my apologies and no offense taken if you didn't intentionally post that to stir the pot...we seem have that happen on a regular basis with the "F word" so we get a little gun shy as it usually quickly disintegrates into a five-page argument. As you can see, it is already cranking up  :) As to the question, any good glue will work with snakeskin-any of the Titebonds, hide glue, etc. No need to put glass over it. And David, let's not just let them lie, let's give them some horse tranquilizers before they lie down so they'll be there for awhile.....:)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

DCM

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 02:57:28 pm »
I should probably drop a few of these.

:) :) :) :)

I'm sincerely just trying to make a point, and sincerely not trying to stir up trouble.  And I'm not even mildly upset or anything about this exchange with Justin.

Happy New Year and general kind wishes to all.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 09:08:49 pm »
   Wheeeew! For a minute I thought it was "That time of the Month", again. Tex, like hillbilly said, just wet the skins down so they are soft. I then squirt some TB3 on my hand and smooth it on the skin and then lay it on the bow. After I smooth out all the bubbles I like to wrap it lightly with an Ace bandage. After it is dry, just trim it with a razor blade and coat it with Poly or whatever to make it durable.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?