Author Topic: Hello from Bedford County, Pennsylvania.  (Read 9427 times)

DCM

Re: Hello from Bedford County, Pennsylvania.
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 10:27:55 am »
I made that bow in early '07 from a stave of pignut hickory Ryan O'Sullivan gave me, or traded me I don't really recall.  Was not real dense hickory, more like ash probably and old Ryan reckoned he hated it.  I made a little sliver bow outa it which fretted some.  In fact I think this longer bow has a few small frets as well but is built with a little more wood for it's weight.  Don't recall the limb width but it's a modified alb, perhaps 1 1/4".  If I recall correctly it may be a little whip tillered which is probably appropriate, I think it may be closer to 67" ntn for George's 27" draw.  That should mitigate it's tendancy to fret as well.  I've shot it quite a bit drawn as far as 29".  Makes fair cast, is mild mannered with ~3/4" string follow.  Ole George is prolly seeing 35% Rh up there this winter.  When he takes it to the 3d in July where it's humid and hottern nine kinds 'o hades, he'll have a different opinion of it I imagine.  ;-)

I will say, to have an experienced and knowledgable person appretate your work is very gratifying.  Beleive it or not, relatively few people are good candidates to be gifted a selfbow.  And I know most of you will appretate when you invest what you must in a stick of wood in order to make it into a bow, you want for it to find a good home where it will be used but not abused and appretiated for what it is.

Hopefully George will be motivated by his experience enough to get back into bowyerin' a bit.  That wasn't my initial motivation, didn't even realize he'd already taken a poke at it.  If so, I expect he'd find a cooperative audience here for that!  LOL  If you do George, I got bow wood I'm ready to send you.  With the internet, digital pics, and sites like this one it's become fairly easy to turn out a fittin' bow without a whole lot of prior experience.

Offline George D. Stout

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 12:42:49 pm »
Pignut hickory is prevalent here in Pa.  I have four of them in my lower back yard...also shellbark and shagbark.   The ash are being worked over up here by the Emerald Ash Borer and many are dying.   I made an osage, english longbow style in the early 90's from a stave I got from Bernie at Mystic Archery when he was at Denton Hill.   I didn't tiller it very well and it split on me after a season's hunting.  It hangs above my daughter's mantle now as a conversation piece.   I'm not a patient person when it comes to such things and seem to want to hurry....a personal cross that I seem to bear.  Perhaps I'll slow down when I get closer to seventy...I'm only 62...well, until Sunday.

Dave, I put a TS-1 string on the bow and like the way it behaves with that.  It is not so different from the string you included, but it seems to be more friendly to arrow spine.    Because of the width at the shelf, the bow shoots true with a 50# spine at 29" and 160 grains up front.  I can hold it vertically and hit center with that setup, which is how I set up my bows, that way I know I'm getting correct paradox.   You may enjoy this next photo.  It was a perfect hit from about forty yards in the oak woods.  Problem is the blunt tip stuck about an inch or more in the dead tree and is about fifteen feet or more about my reach.  The bow has great "whallop" at that distance 8^).  The shot was from atop a small ridge down into the vally below, that's why the angle is downward though it's high in the tree.

On still he goes with back berond of cedar shafts with feather frond;
for him the great success you see, is not to get, but just to be,
amidst the oak and the hickory tree.

DCM

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 02:04:20 pm »
George,

Looks like you need to pick your marks a lil closer to the earth.

Have you tried those ACE hex heads?  Not sure it would have mattered if a blunt stuck, but they are killer heads for stumping and small game.  Not quite as forgiving as a Judo, but will not run under grass easily.  And will poke a hole in the odd armidilla or whatever no worries.  Not sure how they'd do on squirrels, which are darn near impossible to kill without an really good hit, but I'd imagine perty good.

I want a shellbark stave or two, if you run up on a tree that's otherwise healthy but being taken down.

TS1 huh.  Sounds high tech.  LOL  Thought I missed the green and yellar string on one of the other shots.  Figured for sure you done put B50 on it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 02:25:59 pm by DCM »

Offline George D. Stout

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 02:23:31 pm »
I'll keep an eye out for a proper shellbark.  I want to try a B-50 but don't have one the proper length yet....maybe later, just for curiosity's sake.  I had several TS-1 strings for my other home made longbow...a 68" nock to nock,  laminated glass/maple and they fit the hickory well.  I just got my shafts in the mail today from 3Rivers so will work on them the next few days so I have good matched arrows to fine tune Miss Hickory. 

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 04:12:57 pm »
DCM, it is also good to see you hop back on that bow horse. Take care . Happy New Year to all. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 04:13:34 am »
Glad to see you made it over hear George. Also glad to hear from you David.  ;D Funny that stave went from Pennsylvania to MS and back again, but in bow form this time....... ;D  I knew that was a DCM bow the moment I laid eyes on it, didnt even need to read any farther.... 8)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

DCM

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 06:45:27 am »
Good to see you too Ryan.  Not surprising you recognized that bow, as you were the first person besides me to shoot it.  Probably the only person besides me and now George.

Hope ya'll had a great holiday.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 10:40:11 am »
Welcome George.  David makes some great bows that is for sure. 
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 12:14:48 pm »
Welcome George,very nice looking bow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George D. Stout

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 04:42:01 pm »
Took "Miss Hickory" for a walk today and caught this feller hiding in a fence row clump.  Hope to be the first of many for me and the bow. Bow was made by David Mims of Mississippi and is self hickory.  So....it's "Miss Hickory."      ;)   

DCM

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 05:02:34 pm »
Outstanding George.

That must be your new shafting.  White on white is striking.

Fine job on bustin' that bunny.  Missickry done took a likin' to you right off.

Offline George D. Stout

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 05:10:20 pm »
David, you can probably see them flying in the dark.   ;) 

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 05:22:58 pm »
Hello . Glad to have you aboard. I too live in beautiful Pennsylvania. Clarion county to be exact!

Offline George D. Stout

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 05:45:13 pm »
whitewoodshunter,  I lived in Dubois from 2000 until mid 2003.  Spent some time in the gamelands between Dubois and Brockway during those years.  Big woods for sure.

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 06:54:31 pm »
Hunted there many times myself. Ever get over Strattanville way?