Author Topic: how narrow is too narrow on Osage?  (Read 5739 times)

Offline dismount

how narrow is too narrow on Osage?
« on: December 29, 2008, 11:45:19 pm »
I need some feedback from you all on a left over osage stave peice from a bow I built. its 68'' long 1 inch wide but narrows to 3/4 inch in the center, with 3'' thick on belly side. Can I make a 40# bow from this? Do I need to frrench fry the belly to stop bad set? I thought about making a round belly bow like a ELB. Any thoughts???? :-\   I just don't know if it would be worth getting yellow dust all over my wifes car in the garage >:D    Dismount

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: how narrow is too narrow on Osage?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 12:12:19 am »
It is always worth making dust.  With that length you can easily make a #40 bow out of a 1" wide stave.  Now go make a mess in the garage.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 12:24:53 am »
Find Patb's "Sliver" bow...you can still make a serious hunter from that piece ifn your careful....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 12:38:02 am »
It really doesn't take much osage to make a good bow of hunting weight. Osage doesn't mind a rounded belly but a more rectangular cross section with a slight rounded belly will be more stable.
Leave the handle area a bit thicker since it is the narrowest area. You don't need 68" either to make the weight.          Pat

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dismount

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 01:01:24 am »
Thanks fellers, I don't know what i'd do without ya.  Should I temper the belly?  Phil

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 01:01:36 am »
heck i'm attemping a osage bow from a piece thats about the same width but a little shorter,like 10" or so shorter.
go for it,osage is precious to some,like me,so waste not  want not.use it up,if nothing else its always good practice.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 01:23:21 am »
I tempered the belly on the bow I posted with the tiger stripe backing. I think it works better on wood that is less compression strong but it also works on osage.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 09:46:02 am »
I made my daughter a bow a few years ago with about that those dimensions. I got about 22# at 21 inch  out of it. I ended up reflexing the las 6 inches or so. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 12:25:16 pm »
1" wide is plenty for a hunting weight bow.  I believe if you cut it down to around 64" and temper the belly, you could easily get 50# out of it and not have much set either. A little osage goes a long way.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 12:36:18 pm »
Go for it. At the very least, it should make an excellent kids bow. Narrowest I've gone is 1.25", but I know 1" is plenty. Osage is wonder wood, and can take very narrow dimensions. Other than ipe, it is the best when narrow.

Offline dismount

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 07:50:16 pm »
Thanks everybody, I'll start on the bow after Okie1 sends me a pic. I'll post a pic when and if it becomes a bow. Mrs. Dismount is reading this and is not a happy camper. Hey "guys"this is Mrs Dismount aka" the boss" I am glad Dismount has to guys to talk with  but it would sure help me if you could also encourage him to clean up all the yellow dust !!!!!  ::) :D 

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 08:54:41 pm »
that aint dust,thats memories and oh yea its also parts of a stave that didnt contain a bow.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 10:49:27 pm »
Whatever it is, it makes neon boogers if you breath enough of it ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 11:11:54 pm »
i never take that much time and analyze my boogies :o

just pick em and flick em >:D let the one that it hits figure out whats in it :o

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 12:20:57 am »
Boy, you guys sure don't know how to act in the presents of a lady.  ::)  Welcome Mrs. Dismount! You'll have to excuse the boys. They don't get to see too many ladies here on PA so their manners are a bit rusty.     Pat