Author Topic: Kipling-esk bow  (Read 13078 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Kipling-esk bow
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2009, 10:39:01 am »
Thanks everyone. The animal print paper adds a bit of fun to my bows and it will be an effective camo.
  Marius, You have seen me so you know how creative I can be with my appearance.  :o ;D
Rick, I don't measure. I mix up the epoxy then add acetone until it is the consistency I want. For these handle wraps I want it quite thin so it will saturate the string and glue the wrap to the bow.
  Dane, I'd bet Rudyard would flip in his grave if I showed up at his home with Shere Kahn! 
 Vermont is a long way from the jungles of India.
Thanks Pappy.                         Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2009, 12:55:36 pm »
Pat, I am considering using the hemp  cord and Massey finish on the bow I am working on, Where do you get your cord? Or are there other materials that would work as well like braided fishing line?
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2009, 01:23:15 pm »
Kenneth, I got the hemp from WalMart in the craft section.  I've used braided crochet thread and other cotton threads or string with good results. This hemp is a good diameter. The smaller the diameter the more string it takes to do the wrap. The first time I used hemp(for handle wraps ::)) was to keep a bow together that was spliced in the handle and had a 2 piece backing strip. ??? ::)  Once set in the epoxy, this stuff is very strong. The hemp is dang strong by itself.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2009, 01:34:14 pm »
Thanks Pat, you dont put any Padding under the wrap do you? Just looks like in your photo that the wrap is built up a bit more than just the cord. About what diameter cord do you use? Do you use any glue under the wrap or just on top.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2009, 01:52:12 pm »
I usually fill out the back of the handle with a piece of shoe leather. The hemp cord only comes in one size that I have seen. By using very thin epoxy, it saturates through the hemp and on to the handle keeping it secure. Be sure you wrap in the direction your fingers go around the handle. If you go the other way the wrap can looses from just your grip.  I'll find a pic of a handle with the leather on the back and post it here soon.    Pat

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2009, 01:58:47 pm »
Here you go!  I like a bulbous handle and in most cases I have to pack out the back of the handle with leather(wood will work too, also cork or rubber) so it is bulbous all around the handle and fits my hand better.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2009, 02:14:52 pm »
nice handle, I have been having problems with handles and this gives me some good ideas, thanks
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2009, 02:21:34 pm »
On the last one I did I left the leather rectangular(instead of oval) but tapered it from the center out to each end. I then round the edges and contour it to make it comfortable. It makes it smoother for applying the wrapped handle.

Offline Little John

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2009, 02:28:10 pm »
Thanks Pat that will help a lot, and I will be to that point before too long.        Kenneth

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2009, 02:35:47 pm »
whats the little brown leather pouch above the handle???
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Little John

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2009, 05:03:16 pm »
Dragon, that is called a solo stalker. Basicly it is a single arrow bow quiver, holds only the broadhead and the shaft is held in your hand with the bow handle. Much safer than carrying a hunting arrow with nothing to protect you from the razer edge. Much more traditional than a regular bow quiver.    Kenneth

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2009, 08:21:00 am »
Very nice bow Pat! I'm late seeing it...haven't been online much over the holidays. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2009, 09:48:59 am »
Thanks Greg. Boy have you been missing all the fun!!! :o ;D

Rich Saffold

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2009, 01:02:50 pm »
Ya that bow fits the 'Jungle Book" profile ;D Very cool Pat.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2009, 01:39:44 pm »
Thanks Rich.     Pat