Author Topic: West coast replica flatbow  (Read 24572 times)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: West coast replica flatbow
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2008, 01:43:59 am »
Just keep comin back to this one...cant believe you got that out of an oak board :o....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2008, 11:41:31 pm »
I forgot to post pictures of the recurves and the string grooves running along them. I'm slow on pictures, so yes, it took this long for me to get them. :P :D
The grooves are also on the original.
     Sean

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2008, 11:45:25 pm »
Sean, what kinda string is that? Dont look like B-50...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2008, 11:49:21 pm »
It is B-50, but it's a little old. It fits better with the bow. ;D

PK, I've been feeling a bit under the weather recently, so I've not been shooting. I'll get some up when I get back to it.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

AKAPK

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2008, 01:10:59 am »
Thats Ok, get feeling better, real nice bow, its enough work just to show pictures.Phillip

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2008, 06:47:31 pm »
Thats the coolest boiled oak board Ive ever seen! Congrats,you rock!
laugh. its good for ya

CutNShoot

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2008, 05:14:25 pm »
Shoot that one could rate # 1 in the 8 coolest bows I've ever seen. Way COOL! Thanks for showin it.

Offline billy

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2009, 12:51:40 am »
HEy Sean,

I definitely agree with everyone, that bow is sweet!!  I really like the look of that red oak, man, well done.  Is that thing backed or no?  It sure doesn't look like it is.  I'll have to start looking at making a red oak bow of my own after seeing that one.  Great job!  Now take that bad boy out and kill something with it!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2009, 04:02:11 am »
Wow, your pushing the limits of that board right there.....Great job. Would'nt have thought it would have made it with no backing.... ;D Again, Great job Sean.  ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2009, 01:19:25 pm »
For some reason I missed this one.....until I saw it on the BOM list.  Great Bow!
(I will not admit that I voted for your bow.....besides, I don't want to sway anyone else's vote...so don't ask....I will never admit it... ;D)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Dustybaer

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2009, 07:55:35 am »
same here.  just found it and i'm deeply impressed.  beautiful bow.  love the lines.

Offline Woodbear

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2009, 04:40:35 pm »
Sean,

Congratulations on a very nice oak "paddle" bow. I love this style bow. I am particularly impressed with the boiled & bent recurves, nock & string groove.

How thick is the handle? The diagram in TBB1 (p178) shows 15/16" thick, but all the 1x3 oak boards I have seen are only 3/4" thick.

Dave

Offline tdog

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2009, 11:51:53 pm »
Great looking bow! I am new to bow building, but that is one of the nicer bows that I have seen. Hard to believe it started out as an oak board. Beautiful.
It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Mark(Wetumpka,AL)

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2009, 11:36:16 pm »
Thanks again guys. ;D

Billy- no, I didn't back it, I don't like to wait for any glue to dry, so that inclines me to be more creative with my self bows. :D

Woodbear- I made it thinner at the handle, just enough to get it to bend some. I couldn't see making the handle that wide and not having it bend at all, lol.
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2009, 03:42:41 pm »
Howdy Mr. 1/2Prim.,

Many congrats on this eye catching weapon - Cool.  (I can imagine you watching mouths drop open when you walk into a local archery shop with that!!)

Thanks for the close up shots of the recurved tips and the string grove.  I'm wondering if you would post a picture or two of the form you used.  And/or, could you include a few more words (details) on how you went about making the recurses?

Did you have the bow nearly completed (tillered) before you bent the tips?  (If so, what was the draw weight at full draw before recurving?)  Or, at what stage of the game were you when you did the re-curving? 

Thank you for sharing,
Canoe

IMO, you should darken that thing up a bunch for more camo, it'll make a great brush bow for some up-close and personal bowhuntin'!
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey