Author Topic: what should I do?  (Read 3183 times)

Offline brownhillboy

what should I do?
« on: December 22, 2008, 04:50:06 pm »
I'm making my 1st attempt at tanning a deer hide with the hair on.  Sat. morning I took it out of the freezer and put it in water to thaw it out and to aid in cleaning it since it was dragged through the mud(no pun intended).  After it thawed out and I rinsed it off with a water hose, I cleaned off all of the big chunks of meat and junk.  I then salted it heavily and let it drain until Sun. morning when I salted it again.  That afternoon I started wet scrapping and only got about 2/3rds done when I had to leave to go to a Cristmas program at church.  Well, the temp. dropped from the 40's down to 14 this morning with a high in the low 30's expected.  I think I read that once a hide had been frozen, that you could not freeze it again or the hair would slip.  Is this right?  Should I now soak it in a water and ash solution to remove the hair and just make leather out of it, or should it still be ok?  Thank you for any help.

south central VA

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: what should I do?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 07:57:45 pm »
 I'd just keep tanning it. It couldn't have froze that bad if it was salted. I've put them in the freezer for months, salted and rolled up, and they weren't frozen stiff when I took them out.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 10:04:53 pm »
I think salt actually helps to "set" the hair (the opposite of slipping).  I would just keep tanning like Mullet said.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 11:47:08 pm »
Thanks guys.  That's good news. :)
south central VA