Author Topic: Persimmon Wood  (Read 15502 times)

Silver Gray

Persimmon Wood
« on: December 21, 2008, 06:14:25 pm »
Has anyone tried persimmon wood for a self bow or backed bow?  Have a tree to cut and was just wondering.
By the way, new to the forum.  I live in the foothills of the North Georgia mountains.  Retired civil engineer and full time knife maker.  Thought I would try my hand at making a few traditional bows.

Offline david w.

Re: Persimmon Wood
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 06:38:21 pm »
Persimmon makes a great bow from what I hear and the wood is pretty
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 06:54:29 pm »
Yup it will work just fine, most fruit and/or nut woods will work. Welcome to PA :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline david w.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 06:56:59 pm »
Once I gave my sister an unripened persimmon fruit ;D >:D
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 07:48:59 pm »
Gotta be good for bows if it can launch a golf ball several hundred feet ;D
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bcbull

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 08:12:05 pm »
  iv made a few works great a lot like workin hickory  have fun brock

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 08:27:27 pm »
Welcome aboard. I have a couple staves cut and seasoning, haven't used them yet. I'm looking forward to trying it. What part of the Ga mountains are you from? My dad's family came from down in Rabun and Towns Counties.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 08:52:59 pm »
yeah it works ok, takes some set and seems just a little sluggish to me, but it is very effective and very pretty.   the black back is the natural color it takes if you peel the bark and seal it, takes a little while fo rthe pigment to come to the surface. - Ryan

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 10:19:06 pm »
nice bow man, liking the back, looks great- oh welcome to PA, id love to see some of your knifework in the future, when you say knifemaker do you make stone, or steel, maybe both? -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline woodsroamer

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 01:17:18 am »
I agree with TwistedLimbs in that persimmon, including Texas persimmon (Diospyros texana) will take some set so you need to build the bow accordingly. Also, I agree that it seems a little sluggish but nonetheless it makes a good bow. I've made about 10 bows with persimmon wood because it's so easy to work with and seems both good in compression and tension and thus quite forgiving. I would however stick to bows less than 50 lbs with persimmon as over that weight set becomes more of a problem. It also seems to work best with bows of about 60" as opposed to much longer or much shorter. I did, however, make a TX persimmon bow that was just 52" long t2t and it shoots fine. I wouldn't recommend it for longbows but others might disagree. Good luck.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 01:24:09 am »
I have a nice stave that Hillbilly gave me but haven't tried it yet. Be sure the tree hasn't grown in a spiral. Most of what I have access to does.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 01:44:21 am »
I would just split it in half and let it stablize for a bit before you split it anymore, it likes to twist...least here in Mo. humidity....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 06:23:35 am »
Like Koan said and also keep it dry like Hickory when tillering ,I like it and it make a beautiful bow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Silver Gray

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 01:16:30 pm »
Thanks for the valuable information and the nice welcome.  For those who asked, my knives are steel, mostly fixed blade hunters and Bowies.  The pictures posted of the persimmon bow look great.  Thanks again and a very merry Christmas to all.
God Bless

Dave Dellinger

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 02:44:03 pm »
I'm in Gainesville Ga, and my mom has an old persimmon tree in the yard of her new house. It doesn't produce fruit, is old and sloughing limbs. It will probably get cut this year. The trunk appears straight and uniform for about the first 12 feet, about 14" in diameter. I figured there might be some good staves in that tree, but the trunk has about a 45* twist in the bark in that 12'.
Won't the staves most likely have a propeller twist to them? Any way to remove the twist or is this tree destined to be firewood?