Author Topic: One piece, no knot rawhide handles  (Read 12957 times)

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
One piece, no knot rawhide handles
« on: December 16, 2008, 01:53:41 pm »
Morning folks. I've been making one-piece rawhide handle wraps for my bows for a few years now and I thought I'd share with you my methods and why I like these. They are very simple to make and IMHO extremely functional and attractive. Measure up the circumference of your bow at the handle, decide how long you want the wrap to be, then cut that rectangle out of rawhide presoaked in water so it's nice and flexible and stretched out. Leave a section of rawhide attached at one corner of the rectangle, and out of this cut a 12'' long lace maybe 1/8" wide or so. Cut the rectangle neatly, but for the lace don't worry about how perfect it is as defects don't show once the sewing is completed. When you are finished cutting you should have a rectangle with a tail hanging off one corner. Now punch holes along the two edges you'll sew and lace it on with your preferred type of stitching. Since the lace is attached to the handle piece there is no need for knots or other methods of getting started. At the opposite end of the stitching leave a 3/4" tail, and tuck this up under the handle on the off side of the bow so it's sure not to get in the way of a rest or the knuckle. Let the rawhide dry (a day or two depending) and it will shrink tight onto the bow, holding the tag end of the lacing fast in place. When it is completely dry wax it up with furniture stuff or even parafin. You now have a handle that FEELS good (at least to me), absorbs perspiration, stays on forever, and resists all but the most horrifically wet conditions. I make them out of the previous seasons animals and it feels good to do that and I don't have to spend a huge amount of time processing the hides. When you dye the rawhide (RIT works great, that's what I used on the dark ones in the photo) you come away with handle that looks like fine Italian leather. If you prefer the look of rawhide, skip this. A few tips: elk rawhide or something thick works a little better. If you use deer use the thicker areas of a hide. Cut the rectangle slightly larger (say 1/8") than you want the finished handle to compensate for shrinkage. I have not seen these types of handles around, but I am certain I am not the first one to make them. Dave

[attachment deleted by admin]
NW Montana

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: One piece, no knot rawhide handles
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 02:34:31 pm »
COOL 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 03:01:45 pm »
Thanks for sharing David, great idear :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Cromm

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 03:52:44 pm »
Nice,and great looking bows too....
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline redwasp

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 08:06:21 pm »
If a person was unable to attain elk rawhide could you make the rectangle piece twice as long and wrap it twice?  Would the pieces adhere to each other?  what about a squirrel hide?  Sorry so many questions,  ive never used rawhide other than for chew toys. 
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline mitchman

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 08:12:11 pm »
no life :-\

Offline David Long

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 08:54:22 pm »
redwasp I'm sure you could use any rawhide, it's just that I prefer the thick stuff. There are many possibilities I'd love to see the artistic tyoes here explore and that was my main reason for posting this. Leave some hair on? Even a tail perhaps? Could you make them out of a deer hide leg case skinned so no stitching required? Lay off them chew toys man :) say 'em for Fido!
Mitchman, you're absolutely right. No life I agree. Dave
NW Montana

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 09:54:37 pm »
Very cool David. Thank you for sharing!
Gordon

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 11:11:49 pm »
Very nice. Thanks. :) :) :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 08:14:29 am »
Those look very nice,may have to give it a try.Thanks. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 09:04:22 am »
That's a good idea, I'll have to try that-great looking handles. I would never have guessed that the black ones were dyed rawhide.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 09:49:57 pm »
Could you do this with leather too? Kinda like they do wet molded holsters.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline David Long

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 11:33:07 pm »
Sure Hickoryswitch nothing wrong with leather. Tanning elk hide is (for me at least) a really tough job and I've found raw hide works great for this. The dyed stuff looks almost exactly like leather. Dave
NW Montana

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 11:33:28 pm »
                   I dont see why not...I do Knife Sheaths the same way with Leather.......oops.....David already rang in!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 06:22:34 am »
Thats a great idea.  Thanks for sharing it. I like the look and think I will give it a try.
Traverse City, MI