Author Topic: Just Checking In  (Read 6409 times)

Offline tom sawyer

Just Checking In
« on: December 15, 2008, 08:49:58 pm »
I see some of the old "faces" and several new ones.  Been busy here with a new job, and spending more time brewing beer and wine than making bows.  I did some hedge cutting this summer, and a few weeks ago my buddy called and his friend (a fencepost cutter) had a nice log for me.  Turns out it was 9' long and 18" diameter.  We split it in 1/8ths and those were quite a pain to load on the trailer.  I cut them down to 6' and sealed the ends, then wrapped them in a tarp for the winter.  I figure each one ought to make three bows without too much trouble.  My arms hurt just thinking about geting the bark and sapwood off though.

Anyway just wanted to say "hey" and keep up the good work.

One more thing, y'all get working on a hatchet bow for this year's MOJAM, I'm in charge and will come up with a nice prize.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Just Checking In
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 08:56:15 pm »
Hi, tom sawyer, welcome back. I have my new face on now. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 09:35:48 pm »
 Hey Tom, I was wondering where you got off too. Wine and beer, huh? :P
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 11:48:27 pm »
Good to know your still kickin ;)....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 05:54:07 am »
Great to have you back,wondered where you were. Beer/wine hum sound like a worthy venture. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 08:33:00 am »
Glad to see you back on line Lennie :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 08:41:16 am »
Hey Lennie, everyone needs a vacation now and then. That beer and wine part of yours sounds like a worthwhile venture ::) ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 09:05:21 am »
Wondered where you'd been lately. If you're gonna disappear, beer is a good reason. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 09:23:56 am »
My thoughts exactly.  I hope to bring some samples to Pappy's shindig this year.  I now have a kegging system, so I can deal in bulk.

Jimmy is still making bows left and right too.  So there is some bit of activity in the workshop.  He made a very nice 60lb sinewed bow, but he whittled another of my bamboo-backed blanks down to a toothpick.  He's he77 on those backed bows.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 12:49:07 pm »
The last samples you brought was pretty good stuff,now that you have it perfected it should be great. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 03:59:35 pm »
Glad to see youre still amongst us lennie, hope youve got a recipe for an irish red brew, Ive become fond of that type of beer these days. Wish you an the family a Merry Christmas and the best for the new year!
laugh. its good for ya

Offline mitchman

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 08:13:58 pm »
no life :P

Offline mitchman

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 11:05:30 pm »
sorry that was my stupid a$$ brother... :-\

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 06:16:20 pm »
Update on my bow wood stash.  Last weekend I finally made myself work up the pile of splits that has graced my back patio for several months.  I found most of the belly splits weren't usable, had a few billets is all.  And of course the log, being so big, had some wind checks that rendered a few of the staves unusable.  Still, so far I've got 11 good staves skinned and sealed for seasoning.  Most are in the 76" range, and mostly straight with just a little character here and there.  There are a few more that might work out depending on what I find when I skin them, probably a few more billets at the very least.  I had one piece with a very nice knothole that would have made a good character bow, but when I split the thing it went pretty close to the hole and I don't think its going to work out.  Should've just went for the one bow I guess.  Haven't skinned that one down yet so I'm not positive I ruiined it.  In any case, I hope to have everything worked up and in the garage for a few years of slow drying.  I'm going to pull my existing stash and put these on the bottom.  That is always fun, I invariably find wood I forgot about.

Also, I have an announcement.  There will be no hatchet bow contest at this year's MOJAM.  I talked to Keith about it, and since we only had a few bows in each of the last few years I think its clear this contest has run its course.  It certainly proved that an excellent bow can be made with nothing more than a tool as simple and basic as a hatchet.  I hope none of you are too dissappointed.  There is an awful lot going on at MOJAM on Saturday afternoon so I don't think it will be missed too much.  As last year's winner, I am going to still bring a prize and donate it to the stash for the clout shoot or auction.

See y'all around.

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Timo

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 07:37:53 pm »
Tom Thumbs.... ;D Sorry Dean made me doit. ;)  The hatchet bow contest was alot of fun, but only when ya had plenty of bows to judge. You guys are right about it running it's course. I kinda wonder also as to how many really played by the rules?

I still hack one out on occasion just for old times sake. I't amazing how good of a bow one can make with a hatchet. The one I won with a few years ago, almost broke in half on a rabbit hunt,I sinewed it and it  still shoots a good arra!