Author Topic: Red Maple  (Read 9822 times)

Offline wvarcher

Re: Red Maple
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 01:55:18 am »
Good post Sailordad!  Agree with you 100%.  My passion for making bows, hunting, fishing, trapping, etc. has made life much more enjoyable.  IMO, you got to have a hobby.  I fell sad for my Nieces and nephews who spend all there free time playing video games on the Internet. 
     Now, I've got to find a good R. Maple tree to cut and start making a flatbow.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 07:21:19 am »
wvarcher if you have red maple then you surely have hard maple ie sugar, rock, black maple. If so it is the better choice of the
maples, thats not to say red maple won't work just that if you have the option get the hard maple :)

"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 08:32:23 am »
     Occasionally, I will find a Sugar M. in my neck of the woods, but I don't see many of the other Maples.  Usually, I make my bows out of Hickory and Elm. None of these trees are as common as R. Maple around where i am living.  For that reason, I want to start using R. Maple.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 09:02:40 am »
I made a good bow once from striped maple, also. I've been on the lookout for another good stave.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mitchman

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 11:07:48 pm »
sorry guys that was not me talking it was my brother talking.. he was mad at me and took it out in a stupid way. trust me i share the same adventureos life as all of you.