Author Topic: Anybody ever make a bow from redbud?  (Read 10986 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Anybody ever make a bow from redbud?
« on: December 13, 2008, 12:55:48 am »
I've had it on my mind for a while now and decided if I was ever gonna get it done, I need to start cutting.   I cut a couple nice straight ones today, one was about 4" and another one about 6" in diameter.  When I split them the grain spiraled around about 45 degrees from one end to the other.. No bows from those staves >:( 
 I love the look of the wood and it being so common around here, surely I'll find one that doesn't twist so bad.  The grain looks stringy and tough like osage and it seems heavy and dense too.  Hopefully I'll come up with a good piece before long. 
 For those out there that have tried it... Did you remove the sapwood like you would osage, or leave it?  Any info would help.  Thanks,  Saw Filer

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Anybody ever make a bow from redbud?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 01:22:11 am »
Shannon, I removed a trunk(4") from a multi trunked red bud at my house and have it drying in my shop. It should make a good bow. It is a legume like locust and a relatively heavy, hard wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Badbill

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 02:06:28 am »
Its going to make one heck of a nice looking bow! Don't forget to show us some pics. when you get going on it.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 04:11:49 am »
Don't let a little Twist sway you.....give then Staves a try....looks like some awesome wood.........don't make Fre with it just yet!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 06:25:10 am »
That is some pretty wood Shannon, Before ya load the wood stove with em hows about slabbing a few
pieces for knife handles. Just set em aside for me until we trade again :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 10:20:38 am »
heck ya,give it a try.
ifn you dant want to, i will.i aint afraid of a little twist.
set one aside and lets figure out a trade.

peace,
                                                                            tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 11:59:38 am »
I have a few cut too .Still drying .

Ralph

Bowbound

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 02:58:51 pm »
Any bow made from that stuff wood be absoulutly beautiful.

I hope it works.  ;D ;D

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 10:21:28 am »
I resort to finding good lengths for splicing. Great bow wood, resembles osage/locust when working it. Like osage, it's tough to find board straight pieces, so I use what I can get. It's growth habit and form is not greatest. I use the heartwood.

Good luck
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 03:47:50 pm »
Thanks Tracy F. :)  What about dimensions?  I normally make my osage bows from 1-1/4 to 1-3/8" wide and 62" or less.   Will redbud handle it, or should I start out a little longer and wider?  What about straightening with heat?
 I'd like to see one if you have a picture.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

orcbow

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 07:28:35 am »
I'm not convinced that redbud is all that heavy when dried. I don't have any numbers to share, but I have a couple of pieces that I cut two years ago and have dried in the hot box. The wood feels pretty light weight now. Though since it is a relative of Locust, I'd imagine that it is fairly tough and stiff even if light in the Specific Gravity rating. I would say that Redbud is even lighter than Honey Locust.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 11:06:27 am »
That is some pretty wood Shannon. I had no idea red bud was a heartwood - figured It'd be whitle all the way through. It'll be interesting to watch your progress or at least results.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 11:17:41 am »
I read somewhere it was in the Osage family,Maybe Pat or Hillbilly could confirm that. :) our someone else,they just usually know.I have thought about it just never got around to trying it. :)

Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 01:17:07 pm »
I had a billet-sized piece cut at one point, had forgotten about it actually. I'll have to see if I can find it.

I read somewhere it was in the Osage family,Maybe Pat or Hillbilly could confirm that

Redbud isn't in the same family as osage (mulberry family), but as others have already said, it's in the same family as locust.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 02:19:43 pm »
Saw Flier, sorry for the delay. I tend to leave it slightly wider than osage dimensions, around 1 3/8 " at the fades min. with a similar degree of taper to the nock end. That piece you're holding in the pic is very nice and should work just fine. I use steam box and form for straightening, but would think dry heat would work fine. I have been restricted by material lengths, up to 56-60" overall and think 62 would be fine. Some larger trees that I've cut tend to have heart rot/severe twist and end up as firewood. Billets from smaller trees work fine. Good luck!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956