Author Topic: new member introduces himself  (Read 6810 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
new member introduces himself
« on: December 11, 2008, 03:31:25 pm »
hi everyone, ive just joined and would like to introduce myself. I live in Wales UK, and over here bowyers are fixed on english longbows and dont seem to know about much else.!!! My first bow was  a hickory backed yew long bow, no reflex, didnt know about it!! it shot ok but nearly destroyed my elbow with the vibration. So its great to have accsess to all you guys over there in America, with all your experience. this is sadly lacking over here.
So far ive made about 15 bows in 3 years, a few ash self bows, 1 elm, and qiute a few bamboo backed hickory recurves, some broke some hinged, but the last 2 where really good shooters with 2 1/2 inches of reflex after they where shot in! my last bow was hickory backed ipe, this is a powerfull combination!!!! best so far. Next, with you guys help i am gonna try sinew backing. and looking forward to interacting and sharing knowledge,

all the best,       dragonman
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
Re: new member introduces himself
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 03:40:06 pm »
its dragonman again!!! made a mistake in my intro, i meant ipe backed with bamboo was a powerful combination,(not ipe backed with hickory)
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 03:57:51 pm »
welcome aboard. good to have another member across the water.
There is a lot of info and experience here.
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 03:59:55 pm »
Welcome to the board, dragonman.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 04:15:39 pm »
Welcome Dragonman. You are in the right place. Got any pics of your other work?        Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 05:12:42 pm »
i do have a few pics, but i have'nt figured out how to send pictures yet, i'm not very computerized but i'm working on it

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 05:19:37 pm »
Welcome dragonman. :)  Hope to see some of your work soon.
south central VA

Offline Jesse

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 08:35:14 pm »
Welcome dragonman. Your in the best place there is to learn about building any type of natural material bows you can think of. The guys on here will treat you good. Glad to have people from all parts of the world join in discusion.            Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 09:01:28 pm »
Welcome Dragonman!  I believe you are amongst some of the finest self bowyers (and people) in the world.
 Post plenty of pictures and don't be afraid to ask questions. ;)  We're all here to learn. ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 10:58:43 pm »
welcome brother, good people, good bowyers and a great magazine.... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 10:59:32 pm »
 Welcome,dragonman. Looking forward to seeing some of your bows. When you post, if you want to use pictures, look to the left side after you hit reply. It will say ; Additional Options, click on it. Then hit browse. it will go to where you have your pictures. Click on the one you want and hit insert. You can post 6 total. For additional pictures just keep repeating.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 12:23:12 am »
Welcome Dragonman,  This site definitely has some diversity to offer. the different styles and talents of many different bowyers helps us all to grow in knowledge. We look forward to seeing some of your work as well.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 05:44:00 am »
Welcome Dragonman,looking forward to seeing some of your work.You will like it here. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline broad_head

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 09:21:49 am »
Hi Dragonman
                     There are bow makers here in the UK that make bows other than elb's. I do make elb's, but prefer flat bows and make all my own primitive kit. We have occasional get to-gethers, I can get you added to our contact list if you wish informing you of events in the UK. (please respond with a  personal message giving me your email address)
                                                                                                                                                                        Peter (UK) aka BROAD-HEAD

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 06:48:59 pm »
Glad to have ya Dragon man,if your looking for a sinew how to Tom Sawyer did a great one a while back in PA magizine, but try the search option here,it maybe here on the site.
laugh. its good for ya