Author Topic: How short and still "long"?  (Read 5797 times)

Offline Kegan

How short and still "long"?
« on: November 28, 2008, 07:31:08 pm »
Though most people can agree that a longbow by defination is about man's height or a little less, how long could a straight bow be and still have the nefists of a longbow? Because I've seen them as short as 60", but that's shorter than some recurves.

How short could a straight bow be to have the benefiets associated with the longbow?

Offline sailordad

Re: How short and still "long"?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 07:41:12 pm »
well if you were 4 ft tall then a 50" bow would be considered a long bow,or not?and would that have the benefits of a long bow for the short person shooting it?
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 08:12:25 pm »
well if you were 4 ft tall then a 50" bow would be considered a long bow,or not?and would that have the benefits of a long bow for the short person shooting it?

Good point ;D! Okay, for an average sized guy with an average 28" draw, what sort of length could be expected to still have the benefiets of a longbow?

Offline ken bee

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 10:01:41 pm »
hey, someone told me any bow that does not touch or wrap over the tip is a long bow whatever its length. probly a 64 to 66 " long bow style would work ok  what kind of wood too counts lam. or self also i bet ive tried different things but i like sinew osa'. recurve about well.......48" n n i use 28 arrow but only draw 26 + or - my bow pulls ........ humm just checked my draw pound its 25" draw 51_55 i have a 100 yard stick very fortunate yes i know thank 7 oh p s   ihope i didnt trample on someone elses thread im not guite surs what that is if i get the boot ill guess this is a tradll

Offline Traxx

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 11:52:29 pm »
If im understanding your ? correctly,then i think ,for a stiff handled bow,a 66" length,is as short as i would go,to retain the benefits of the shooting qualities of a "Longbow".A bendy handle would be 62".JMHO.Now,I agree with the string criteria,defineing the difference between a longbow and recurve,as you mention,but,by the true definition,the only true longbow,is a ELB style bow.The rest of the longer styles used commonly should more acurately be called a flatbow.Also,in my oppinion,anything shorter than 60" should be defined as a short bow.All this for the 28" draw of course.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 12:26:30 am »
I have to agree with Traxx.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 07:05:31 am »
Keegan, what "long bow" benefits do you want your short straight bow to have? Do you mean long bow or do you mean longbow? Do you mean English longbow or American longbow? :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 10:48:38 am »
Thanks guys :). I was under the impression that 66" was about the breaking off point, and for the most part that seems to be the concensus.

Jawge, when I started the thread I was thinking about some of those 64" bows with a stiff handle (American semi-longbow) that I see all over the place, and wondeirng if they still had the stability and energy storage of 70+" bows. I see alot of people using 66" or so bows, but had no idea if they were as stable and reliable as their slightly longer brothers (ELB's and American longbows alike- or long flatbows for that matter).

As far as defining them goes, I was figuring to include anything not-recurved, as length was my primary question on affecting performance/stability (I need all the help I can get ;)). If you have a 72" ELB or American longbow, is it much mre stable than a 66" ELB or American longbow (comparing them all to their same styles, just different lengths)?

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 11:04:47 am »
   On the average just based on my own observations I would have to say that 64" to 66" seems to produce consistent best performers, have seen plent of good ones down to 60" and plenty of good ones up to 72" as well. Not sure what the minimum is but I know 58" bows are still considered longbows by the flight committee. Not even sure who the boss is on matters like this! Steve

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 11:07:12 am »
Depending on the wood, Keegan, 66" should be fine. With 'sage you can probably go shorter. Be sure the bending starts at the end of the fades and tiller elliptically leaving the last 4-6 inches relatively stiff. Cuts down on stacking. I like my bows 64-66 in ntn for a 26 inch draw. :) Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 11:08:36 am »
Badger, we do think alike. I was typing when you posted. LOL. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 11:13:52 am »
Thanks everyone :). I was always a bit worreid about cutting a bow down to 68" or 66" for fear of losing stability in an effort to gain a little bow weight.

You've put my mind at ease ;D.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 11:27:28 am »
I think the longer the bow(to an extent) the more stable. Look at a tight rope walker. You don't see them with a 66" balance pole. They are extra long for a more stable balance. I believe you get less unwanted movement from a longer bow and that makes it more stable.
   If you go by hunting regs, there are a limited amount of bows...longbow, recurve, compound and crossbow. But, in these 4 classes there are many different styles to deal with.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

a finnish native

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 12:30:35 pm »
I consider everything under 54" short and everything over 62" long. those between are mediun fore me. Don't ask why, it's just an impression what I have. ::)

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 11:54:10 pm »
Under 66" is a short bow? I don't think I've ever made a bow 66"! :)
I think all of my bows are less than 60", and most are 56" and shorter.
Ok, I'm weird. But I'm alright with that.:)
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.