Author Topic: R/D and draw l  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Postman

R/D and draw l
« on: November 20, 2008, 10:05:41 am »
Was just checking out Jbell's bow - what a beauty.... I have a nice osage stave ready to floor tiller  that is 60" long, and have a 27" draw. Would a R/D design make it harder or easier to get a 58" NTN bow tillered out to 27" ?
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: R/D and draw l
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 10:11:15 am »
With osage, that's entirely workable. Tillering a r/d design is a bit tricky if you haven't done it before, but not too difficult.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 10:47:30 am »
 Yes an R/D will help a shorter bow hit longer draw lengths. But as Hillbilly said with Osage and that length the draw is plenty doeable

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 10:53:52 am »
Postman, I routinely make r/d bows 58" nock to nock that draw 28", well 60" overall length, I cut my nocks a bit closer to the tip than most. Litle on the short side but very doable, I recently started stretching mine out to 62 and 64.. Steve

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 11:01:16 am »
i would just heat in about 3-4" of reflex instead of making a r/d bow.  your life would be easier going that route.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 12:44:16 pm »
I like to take a stave that already has natural deflex and just add the the reflex to it. Most guys don't want staves with natural deflex so its easier and sometimes cheaper to get one like that if you have to buy your wood or if your like me and cut and season your own you still like to make use of all your wood. especially osage.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Jbell

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 02:12:02 pm »
Go for it. Osage can handle it no problem. Just take your time tillering and you will be just fine. I think R/D goes hand in hand with a shorter bow.
Justin Blunt

Offline Postman

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 10:02:52 am »
Cool guys, thanks. The stave has some nice natural deflex on one limb, , and I'll start by doing the other side to match. If I can get a good bit of reflex, , i'll deflex the middle a bit.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA