Author Topic: what is this ???  (Read 5356 times)

Shooter_G22

what is this ???
« on: November 12, 2008, 08:41:55 pm »
got some rock here dont know what it is any help to identify would be appreciated..

also tried to flake this and it flakes well enoungh but it is really hard to get it down to point size any tips...

i know if i was to heat treat maye be better but dont know how to do this any help???

thanks...

Shooter_G22

Re: what is this ???
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 08:45:44 pm »
2nd try

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 08:45:55 pm »
what state?
Mililani Hawaii

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 08:49:40 pm »
that stuff looks ruff, maby some tipe of riolite or a rugh basalt.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 08:57:46 pm »
 Looks more like Gneiss to me. Is it gray and grainy inside? If so rename it Leaverite and put it back. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Shooter_G22

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 08:59:03 pm »
im in North Texas     "Dallas"     the redish gray stuff is from one site and was put there at a park  and the other grayish white stone is from a construction jobsite... neither stone was collected from its natural area....   dont know what it is but it does flake fairly easy.. Just a strick from a mexican river pebble and flakes come off but i dont know how to knap and i do not have any tools and or know how....   i think if i could heat treat it i think it would do alot better...  i can get a flake out of it and it will sharping by pressure flake but i cant get anything to flake thin enough for a point but im sure its just my inexperiance and ignorance that is keeping this stone from becomming points...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 09:03:47 pm »
 If the color in the picture is natural then it is probally a low grade Chert .n It is used quite a bit at Construction sites for Rip-Rap, in High corrosion areas. Heat treating it at around 450- 500 dgs will help it a lot. But hit thin spalls or it will blow up.
Lakeland, Florida

Shooter_G22

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 09:04:23 pm »
nope no grainy stuff inside...  i know what your talking about with that...   i see alot of that at every jobsite...

but this stuff falkes clean and sharp... smooth for the most part but i think it could be a heated to make it a little more brittle and more glassy right....   at least the redish gray or almost hard clay looking one is

second stone from differant location is:
the other choped picture is all gray and when it flake it has a particular smell to it...  almost like gun powderey smell or something that would remind you of firecracker or maybe like the snap caps...  ????  wierd smell when you strick it...

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 09:05:49 pm »
OK than its a type of Edwards Plato chert.
 The smaller Pisces in the 1st photo look OK, but the rest looks real ruff. There is allot of high grade flint in Texas I'm Sheree someone can put you on some killer stuff if you ask around.
 Man thats just some ruff stuff, maby a large wooden billit and a thick leg pad might get you somewere on it.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 09:08:04 pm »
 what your smelling is probably a solfer, thats weird never herd of solfer being in flint.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 09:13:09 pm »
 Sulfur is in Chert. Chert comes from limestone deposits, and oil does to. I still think what you have, in the reddish stuff is a high grade of Chert. I have some Chert here that is pinkish, gray and you can run some flakes on it. Heat treated, you can knap some nice thin points from it, with it giving you that high ,Ping when you hit it.
Lakeland, Florida

Shooter_G22

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 09:33:42 pm »
thanks mullet,

i was thinking soo...  i really dont know anything about it...   but for some reason i really think it has some potential and if this stone was in the experianced hand i think it could make some points maybe not real fancy beautiful ones but i think teh stone could be used to make functional working points....

the other gray stone with the funky smell i just picked up from a differant site a jobsite and looked through around the construction site and picked through with my brick hammer stricking the edges to see if it would flake and found some that would...so i through them in the back of the pickup and said one day when i learn what the hey im dong i might be able to use it... and if not it didnt cost me anything but a little of my time after work one day going through a pile of stone on a water spillway...

the smaller spal's on the first picture at the bottom are flakes from the larger stone after hitting them with another stone i got from a stone yard I  purchased a few stones called mexican river pebble (.35 a pound )   my first attempt to getting some ogga booga tools... 

i really need a how to dvd soo i can see how to do this... this is one thing that didnt come to natural to me... the other P A stuff i have to say came pretty natural..  but this flitknapping has proven to be harder than it looks...  i know im doing it wrong and or have all the wrong tools actually have none...
i hav used the mexican river pebble to attempt to get some flakes.. and i have used a cooper rod bought from lowes in there eletrical department and hammered flat and put it in an exacto knife holder to try and use as a pressure flaker...  but i dont know how to pressure flake and i dont think my improvised tool worked very well....  i tried this a while back no luck right off hand soo i set the stuff down and haent picked it back up till today to take pictures of it...  i have been concentrating on building and or workin on other stuff...

will probably post pics of my improvised attempt to make tools later but not tonight i hv to visit cousin in from out of town... wants to go down a few bears..   >:D  :D  :P  ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 09:38:22 pm »
  The gray stuff is probally Gneiss. Gneiss is chert that is almost Shale. That's probally why you are smelling it. I wouldn't waste my time with it. But the stuff with color I would try.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline xin

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 12:00:57 pm »
Cracking open rocks reveals the enironment in which theywere created.  Bust open an obsiidian nodule and experience the volcanic eruption that created it. Kinda like taking a trip back in time.