Author Topic: all power tool bow challenge?  (Read 5856 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: all power tool bow challenge?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 10:42:33 pm »
                              OK..........I'll bite...........I can make one with just a Router and a Finish Sander...........
Yo are better than me with a router then. 

Do we get to use a axe to split it out of the log or do I have to chainsaw it out.  :o  Once it is in stave form it can be done with just a belt sander.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 11:14:35 pm »
                                       Does it have to be a Stave....or can it be an Oak 2X4???
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 11:29:35 pm »
personnaly i would think a 2x4 would work since it was industrial power tools that put it in the form of a 2x4  jm2c

peace,
                                                                              tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 12:08:56 am »
I have a beautiful 2X4 Oak from Work...it was part of some cribbing that a Large Boiler came in on....I cobbed on toit as soon as I seen the Straight Grain!!....I am going to bandsaw it in hald....and make two nice Paddle Bows from it...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 12:37:57 am »
yeah id say a 2x4 is ok. cant wait to see what you come up with! do you guys think there should be anymore criteria? im pretty open with this one, but any more restictions to make it more fun are fine with me!

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 12:55:02 am »
lowell, that bow as made for a six year old.  If you make a bow's weight about equal to the child's age (girls), you're pretty safe.  What I mean by that is the bow will not be too strong for the child and the arrows will not fly with too much force (in case of an accident).  After age twelve, a child's strength starts to increase dramatically, so I add 5 pounds to the draw weight.  After age 15, I add 10 pounds to the draw weight. So....for example:

Age 5  = 5# bow
Age 12 = 12# bow
Age 13 = 18# bow
Age 16 = 26# bow

These examples are for girls, using my daughters as a guide.  My boys are only 5 (twins) and I'm sure they will be a bit stronger than the girls, but for now the chart above works well for them too.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

orcbow

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 12:16:48 pm »
                              OK..........I'll bite...........I can make one with just a Router and a Finish Sander...........

Wow! El Destructo- A router? I have seen and done many things with a router.....but please explain....what would you do to shape a bow with a router? Or do you mean something more like a dremmel tool? I'm curious.  ???

I have used a router to do this compression patch on a bow that I am making for my daughter.

This bow was made with power tools, except for hand sanding the edges. I was trying to make a bow that did not need any tillering.

Offline lowell

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 03:19:56 pm »
Thanks Jackcrafty,

That helps a lot ;).. just got to spend some time in the shop instead of the tree!! :D
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!