Author Topic: Need some advice plzz...  (Read 1853 times)

Offline akila

Need some advice plzz...
« on: November 04, 2008, 11:39:09 am »
Hi guys,,,,i  have a question for u.....hope u can help me...im  working on a recurve bow....made of ash ....and i just noticed something today, and im a little worried....i have seen a little spot on the back of the bow....it looks like a shalow, but i wanna ask for your opinion to....i have seen other little spots like this one on the back of the bow, but it seam that in those areas , they are some little pin knots........but this one from the pictres it warries me.....becose on the belly of the bow, there is no pin knot...nothing.....no chrisalz, no shalow....what do u think???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Need some advice plzz...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 11:45:34 am »
There is a bore that affects ash but usually only just under the bark in the cambium layer. It will leave trail marks and other markings on the first growth ring but usually it is only cosmetic. I can't tell by your pics if that is what you have there.     Does the wood seem sound on or around this area?  Do you have enough depth to your stave to go down below this ring?      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline akila

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 11:54:38 am »
Its not from the borers....i know how that looks like....this is just like a spot....whenn i runn my fingers on that area, i dont feel nothing wrong...to chase the ring below its not an option.....this is a bow....its all most finished,,,,,i shot it today.....100 arrows, and whenn i come in to the house i have noticed this spot....but i dont know iff this thing apeared after i shoot the bow, or it wass there from the start....i dont know what to say....this is the first time i have something like that on the back of a bow....usuly this things apear on the belly of the bow....it looks to me just like   it chrisals.....it looks  like a ice christall......and whenn i run my finger , the surface is smood....i dont feel a thing... :-\....now i just realise i didnt specified exactly to what spot im refering to.....the spot is right in the middle of the wood.....its like a little circle.....a little rounde spot...right in the middle of the bow.....those vertical lines, they are just some little cambium wood....i didnt remove it 100 %....

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 12:34:00 pm »
Looks cosmetic to me. Is the wood soft around that area? It's not discolored, which leads me to believe it's nothing to worry about. It certainly doesn't look like a crack or split. If you're stressed, back it with rawhide. You've put 100 arrows through it with no problems... it'll probably be OK.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 12:43:42 pm »
You can put a wrap over that area for insurance and another on the other limb for a ballanced appearance. Silk or linen thread set in glue or a sinew wrap should do the trick, or like adb suggested a raw hide backing.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline akila

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 12:44:31 pm »
Yeah i think you right.....i just examined the entire bow , peace by peace....and i have discoverd a fiew little spots like that....the wood is not soft  in those area.....and like i sad before, whenn i run my fingers to those areas it doesent feel nothing wrong....i hope it will be ok....thks a lot guys for your help....i will post some pictures  realy soon with the bow finished... ;)