Author Topic: traditional greek archery questions  (Read 19159 times)

Offline Dane

Re: traditional greek archery questions
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2008, 11:43:15 am »
Oh, love the Chinese repeating crossbow. I do want to build one one day, as well. A very cool machine, and they look like a lot of fun. The bad thing is you are forced to make a bunch of bolts for it - arrow making is not my favorite activity :)
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Greek

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2008, 12:31:26 pm »
Thanks to George for the link - I haven't read it yet but it looks quite interesting.  I am 40%
Greek from my father's side and an archer.  My family is from Methone, mentioned in the Illiad as
having sent 50 skilled archers to the battle at Troy.  Archery was recognized as a legitimate form
of fighting in the Trojan war era.  In fact, Philoctetes was considered a hero for his skill with
the bow as was Hercules.  Teucer, half-brother to Ajax the Great was immortalized as giving some
success to the Achaeans by killing several charging Trojans, including Hector's charioteer.  He
fought alongside Ajax, firing from behind his great shield.  Probably about 1100 BC is when the bow
started falling into disfavor among the Greeks as a more cowardly form of fighting.  However,
archery continued all through Crete's history.  Then with the invasion of the Persians the Greeks
again started recognizing the necessity of the bow in warfare.  Athenians, Cretans, Corinthians and Scythians were then used on land and sea.  Slightly previous to this they used the Scythians, the archers of the day (1/3rd being women) as mercenaries and even as a police force in Athens. Alexander the Great of course used Cretan and Scythian archers in his conquests.

As for the type of wood used - I read somewhere of a Roman writing about how they copied a bow from
the Greeks made out of yew.  I am having a replica of a bow from 1250 BC made out of both Juniper
and olive wood.  Juniper because it is a wood indigenous to Greece with wonderful qualities and olive because my family in Greece owned olive orchards.  Hickory is also indigenous to Greece so I'm sure
they made both bows and arrow from this wood. 

For 2 years now I have had a yahoo groups primitive archer site, where we are trying to form a
reenactment and competition club.  Things are starting to progress.  We hope to have a demo team
put together for next summer when we will travel to renfaires and such.  Members so far will portray:
3 or 4 various Native American tribes, 2 medieval longbowman, 2 Polish Hussars and myself as a
Mycenaean Greek.

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2008, 11:54:29 pm »
haha! another fellow greek, I love it man. you know alot about the history of warfare there, too- good to know. I was born in greece, and I lived in sanga for a while, not too far from sparta ;D you hunt much? or do you know any of the indeginious game animals in greece? i"d like to know, im going in the next 3 years, i might want to bring my longbow ;D  dana: the chinese repeating crosssbow is real hard to make. I couldn't get the damn trigger to work, after taking the effort of making the bow and sawing the push stick arms. Its fone, there not very accurate either. about the bolts, i kinda think its a loosing battle-no fletchings. this isnt an ancient model, but this link has a real cool repeater, thats really accuraty, supposizley. im going to see if my woods teacher will let me make it next semister.thanks for all the quick replies -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free

Greek

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2008, 05:16:02 pm »
Well, Ballista - My dad did a lot of bow hunting, but he died when I was 13. So I didn't pick up
archery again until my own son was 16.  My son and I have only gone small game hunting with shotgun.
But we would both love to go bowhunting. Life is just too complicated right now. He's finished
active duty (spent 13 months in Iraq), now he's juggling a job at the airport, Reserve duty and
fireman's academy. I'll be 60 in a few months, have no work (live in Michigan, highest unemployment
in the country) and I'm actually in the process of filing bankruptcy right now. I have 2 aunts who
have visited Greece twice now and they hooked up with family in Methone. Methone is about 20 miles
SW of Kalamata as the crow flies and about 7 miles directly south of Pilos. Don't know what game there
is to hunt in Greece but sure would love to get there someday.

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2008, 12:10:17 am »
I'm sorry to hear that brother. the market being the way it is, i doubt alot of things will go planned, including greece- were not at a financial peak either man. do you live in the bigger chunk of MI or the UP? My buddy always heads up to the UP with his dad, small town called republic, something i'd love to do. I just recently started huntin with a bow, then again i also just recently started deer hunting- its never too late man! -jimmy

Greek

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2008, 09:19:50 am »
I live in the 'mit' as we call it.  I've been in the the UP a couple of times, all the way up to the
top at Lake Superior.  Absolutely gorgeous up there.  I have a buddy that lives up there in Big
Bear.  If you've ever seen the Hitchcock movie, "Twelve Angry Men", it was filmed there, where the
murder actually took place. I think you live in Wisc or MN right?

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2008, 01:58:15 pm »
 oh Im actually way up north illinois, real close to wisconson- nice country, but I'd love to see the riversides and valleys of up north, today I was trying to track a gut shot buck in takk grass and thick brush, with dime sizd blood trails, it was ridiclous, but at least the country was good to see. oh theres a great movie about the UP, a hunting comedy, its called escanada in da moonlight, hilarious. -jimmy

Offline John K

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2008, 04:12:41 pm »
Ask DanaM about Escanaba in da moonlight.......
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2008, 09:54:36 pm »
Ask DanaM about Escanaba in da moonlight.......
haha bad experience or something?