Author Topic: osage tree cutting procedure  (Read 5663 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: osage tree cutting procedure
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 11:09:57 am »
If this tree is large enough that it needs to be "limbed", then you seriously need to find a Certified B or C Faller.  If you do not know what a Certified Faller is, then you really do not have the experience and safety training necessary to drop this tree.  I am a Certified A Faller for Wildland Fire Suppresssion and it took three days of classroom and in-field training to pass that testing.  The first and foremost thing in your bag of tools is knowing when to walk away.  From what you describe I'd look at your tree and I most likely would walk away,  It's hard on the ego, but like some of these guys have said, this is dangerous.  Until you understand bind, tension, compression, head lean, side lean, safety zones, proper use of wedges, gunning, face cuts, back cuts, relief cuts, corner nipping, and more maybe you should bop down to the local chain saw distributor and see if you can sweet talk a local Faller into dropping your tree.  Take along one of your cooler looking bows to show off.  From the way it sounds you'll have plenty of staves to make him a bow afterwards. 

Jape really said a lot when he advised that you have all the gear, equipment, and experience.  I have seen some astounding things happen when highly experienced sawyers were short of gear, but they had what you can never buy, borrow, or fake...experience. 

For what it is worth, I have a local tree service that traded me 4 cords of cut and split maple firewood and three 7' sections of bur oak (at least 12 quality staves) in exchange for a hickory board bow and 6 poplar arrows for his kid.  Don't underestimate your powers of bartering and don't overestimate your technique as a sawyer. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline dismount

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 08:14:27 pm »
all sage advice. Thanks I'm going to look at it tomorrow and get a game plan. I've dropped larger trees than this, and I listen when my red flags go off but I've done some felling I would not repeat here, and don't want to push my luck. I'll take it slow and easy, If I do it , it will be on my own hook, and I'll be solely responsible. Thanks for all the concern. I'll let you all know how it went next week. Phil

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 08:56:20 pm »
Osage is incredibly dense and heavy. Much more so than most trees. I would be careful. The other thing is what does the bark look like? Before you  invest too much work into it make sure its even gonna be worth messing with. Just because its osage does not make it good. It needs to be fairly straight with little or no twist and with bigguns a little twist in the bark is sometimes a lot of twist in the belly. I would not take an optomistic view of cutting osage. I know its hard to do but it can be a lot of work for a few marginal staves when a smaller tree could be easier to read, handle and process. Not trying to talk you out of it just suggesting that you be realisitic in your assesment.  Also might be helpful to make sure your early/late ratio is sattisfactory. Nothing worse than having all that work wrapped up in some osage thats marginal at best. Let us know how it turns out.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God