Author Topic: Starting point for a stave  (Read 3262 times)

Offline BigWapiti

Starting point for a stave
« on: October 12, 2008, 11:21:11 pm »
So, ok, I've made several bows so far (thanks in huge amounts to all those here that help).  But on each bow, once I get them floor tillered, I set the stave on the tree and start lightly pulling to get a feel for where the bow might want to go.  My main question to myself is always, where to start.  For example, say you have your stave on the tree for the first time, and maybe you want an elliptical bend, do you start by concentrating on getting the outside (toward the tips) to start bending -- Or do you work first closer to the handle?

What's your thought process when you get that floor tiller on the stave, some knocks knurled in, tillering string attached and the bow up on your tree.  Just curious how the rest of you think....  (selfishly, I admit...  >:D >:D)

Mike
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Starting point for a stave
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 11:42:46 pm »
When I hit floor tiller stage usually the mid section of each limb is bending and the outside and fade areas are still stiff. I then work the fades to get them bending good then to the tips. I usually leave the last 4" to 6" of each limb stiff.            Pat     
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 10:50:10 am »
I get the mid limb bending during floor tillering, work from just outside the fades to within about 4" from the tip on the long string and get the fades moving last on the short string. I have found removing wood from the fade out area drops poundage faster than any other part of a bow so I save it for last. I like to reduce a bow to my desired poundage rather than come in light from taking away too much wood too soon.

Bowbound

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 02:30:30 pm »
I like to get a stave bending then sort out the impurities as i go along. I often leave the last 6 or so inches stiff and oversized till the end when i reduce them. Same with the handle.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 05:18:09 pm by Limey-Josh »

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 04:23:50 pm »
I start by tapering the limbs carefully and then check the floor tiller.  If I've done the tapering right, the limbs bend smoothly all the way from the handle area to the tips.  I then tackle the flat spots.  Once the limbs are bending in perfect arcs, I remove wood along the entire belly until I hit the target weight.  I constantly check the tiller in a mirror as well as on my tillering stick.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 06:27:22 pm »
I concentrate on getting the bend to begin at the end of the fades. I look at that from floor, to long string and final tillering. I want to see a good limb arc, too, at the floor tillering stage.  My site has buildalongs.
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 08:25:31 pm »
Great stuff folks - I appreciate hearing your responses, comparing them to my own and to each of the others. Love it.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me