Author Topic: How do you guys handle this?  (Read 3127 times)

Offline TreyNC

How do you guys handle this?
« on: September 24, 2008, 02:26:02 pm »
 Here is what I got. 64" ntn white oak, 45lbs at 27", raw hide backed board bow. Looks ok, would change some thing to do over though. My problem is there is some grain run off on the sides. Three places the edge of the ring on the side of the bow is lifting. I have had this problem on some light poundage bows and was ok with that. This one has a heaver pull than those and is a little shorter. The largest offending area is on handle, no problem there, some raw hide glued on will be ok. The others are small, but I don't like it. Will just some super glue work or does it need something glued to it?

Offline Skeaterbait

Re: How do you guys handle this?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 02:33:03 pm »
Trey,

Can you post some pics? Hard to envision exactly what you are talking about. If you are rawhide backed you shouldn't have any worries, but if you are rasing a splinter under the rawhide you may not be glued sufficiently.

Papa Matt

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 02:34:16 pm »
What I would do is superglue it down and then wrap it in animal sinew, (deer, elk, moose, cow, horse, whatever you have). When the sinew dries it is not easily seen and shrinks down tight to hold the area and is super strong. And of course let's not forget the benefit that it is all natural and primitive. I did this with several bows starting out.

~~Papa Matt

Offline TreyNC

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 04:08:52 pm »
It's actually on the side of the limb. I was trying no to glop abunch of ugly stuff on there if possible. I will try to get some picks on tonight.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 08:40:04 pm »
It's probably a 1/4 sawn board or it tends to do that. That cut needs perfectly straight edge grain. Also, remember that edges need to be rounded. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline TreyNC

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 09:08:57 pm »
I rounded the bottom some, but not the top at all becouse of the backing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 09:47:29 pm »
Round the corners, backing and all. It will help to keep splinters from lifting up. The top corners are the ones that need rounding the most, because that's where the tension pressure is at.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.