Author Topic: Western re cedar?'s  (Read 2825 times)

whitewoodshunter

Western re cedar?'s
« on: September 20, 2008, 02:09:22 pm »
Anyone ever try making a bow from western red cedar?

orcbow

Re: Western re cedar?'s
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 02:30:09 pm »
I want to know too. I've got a really nice split fence rail thats from Lowe's. I'm pretty sure that up in the pacific northwest, the Native people there made short, sinew backed and recurved bows from western red cedar. My stave had a tag on it that said it was from Idaho. I'm not 100% sure if its all the same kinda tree though.

Offline TreyNC

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 03:39:35 pm »
I asked the same thing last year and was told not to bother. However I do have some around and still think about it. Maybe long, wide, and backed to get to around 30-35lbs? Give a try and let us know. I'll put it on my list to get to as well, might be a while though. At least not before the end of next weekend.

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 03:40:35 pm »
yup i tried it, i used a thin strip of oak for a backing. it litterally crushed at first brace. but is you really want to try it, maybe you could make it work.

If you do i deffinately suggest a thin wide limb.

I know some guys have used laminations as core wood in flight bows however.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 09:09:57 pm »
I've made some very light bows from it,  but if I was going to make a 30#er, I'd make it 6' long, and probably 2" wide outside the fades. Like all species some parts may be better, but I'm sure its sg. is probably .38 which is a about like redwood...

It's such beautiful wood, and usually quite straight..This makes it very tempting..

Rich

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 12:18:06 pm »
This is Thuja plicata.  It is way too soft to make a bow out of it.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

orcbow

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 12:50:09 pm »
I re-read the chapter in T.B.B. vol 1. Steve Alley does not mention western red cedar at all for the Pacific Northwest bows. I guess what I remember was a reference to white cedar, and to juniper, both of which I believe have at least a higher spec. gravity than western red cedar. By the way, the USDA Forrest Products Lab, gives a .31 spec. gravity reading for this wood at 12% M.C. That's at least about .10 points lower than most of the lightest commonly used bow woods.