Author Topic: need help please  (Read 5287 times)

Offline lost arrow

need help please
« on: October 06, 2008, 01:03:50 am »
im planning on making a warbow.ive got a 72"red oak board with straight rings that are huge (more than 1/8"). I wanna make it at least 80 lbs and if possible more can any one give me advise .what should the front taper look like on a warbow and do you have to crown the belly?

Offline lost arrow

Re: need help please
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 01:04:47 am »
alomst forgot my draw length is 27" any hep would be very appriciated

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 01:26:56 am »
Hi,
Well... do you want an authentic warbow? If so, an oak board is not the first or best choice. Yew or ash are traditional warbow materials. To make an 80# bow from an oak board, you'd probably be better off to back it, and you'd have to leave it wider than the traditonial warbow dimensions. Your oak board might make a nice pyramid bow or flatbow.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 01:50:48 pm »
Hello....interesting situation you have here.

Yes, it's possible to make a warbow from red oak (northern red oak is very similar in properties to white ash) but it will not be easy.  For that matter, making a warbow is not easy anyway...even for experienced bowyers.

You probably asked about red oak because you can get it at the hardware store....but you might be better off buying a stave through mail order, or cutting one yourself.  Elm or hophornbeam are good, cheap alternatives to yew...yew being the best but also very expensive.  You might also try hickory if you live in a dry climate.  I'm sure others will chime in.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline lost arrow

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 02:56:48 pm »
thanks very much for the replys.i have access to other woods.we have an awsome hardwood store in salt lake,but my car is not running well enough to make the trip.i live next to a, home depot so i thought i wood try red oak out.the rings are very straight and it looks like its very near to being one growth ring on the back.ive made a few other board bows out of hickory,purple heart,ash,and one osage from a tree cut staff.all of the ended up under 50 lbs.so i thought i would try a heavy war bow.

Offline lost arrow

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 05:32:55 pm »
does the front view have to be a full taper from the handle,and if it does will a 1x2 red oak board@ 72 accommodate 80 lbs