Author Topic: i need a desingn of a flat bow does any one have....  (Read 10809 times)

jeff

i need a desingn of a flat bow does any one have....
« on: August 25, 2008, 04:43:03 pm »
hi all i need a desingn of a flat bow or long bow that would suit a 26" draw at #45-47  and 60 - 68" long can anyone help. thanks.jeff ;)

Papa Matt

Re: i need a desingn of a flat bow does any one have....
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 04:46:42 pm »
That would be pretty easy brother. What wood do you have/are looking to use?

~~Papa Matt

jeff

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 04:56:05 pm »
the wood is american white ash

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 05:13:16 pm »
You can use a Comstock Meare-Heathe. It's 66" long, 2" wide past midlimb tapering to narrower tips. The handle is deep, as narrow as 3/4", with fades about 1 1/2"-2" long. It's about 5/8" thick at the fades taperign striaght to 3/8" thick tips. You can remove width to reduce weight.

Papa Matt

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 05:13:50 pm »
Atta boy! I've got the same wood you have and mine is going to be a longbow with a very slight bend in the handle slowly working its way out of the fades, at 74". I'm looking for about 60# and 28" draw and a rectangular cross section.

Ash would make you a real nice flat recurve or long bow either one. In both cases I would make sure your ash is good and dry and make your bow with a rectangular (flat) cross section. After that, it's pretty much up to you.  

I'm gonna make my longbow 74" long, with a 6" slightly bending handle section about 7/8" wide by 1.25" deep, and the bow itself will be about 1.5" wide at mid limb to about 5/8" at the knock. These are my plans anyway. I'm still roughing it out. If I were you I'd be tempted to make a 64" recurve, but you have all kinds of options. Ash is versitile.

~~Papa Matt

jeff

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 05:42:11 pm »
does any one have pics on how to lay it out thank you guys. jeff

jeff

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 05:47:08 pm »
btw iam from auckland NewZealand i do a bit of hunting  and arrow making and quiver making and knife making  ;Dand now i want to try my hand at making a bow

Offline Butch Speer

• St. Clair Mo.
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 10:45:15 pm »
This isn't mine. It comes from Tim Baker on the old Leatherwall. Hope it helps.

YOUR FIRST WOODEN BOW

Following is a 50lb design that is easy and quick to make, is as fast and accurate as any, and costs
about five-dollars.

This bow is about the same length you are tall. It's drawn side-view shape is that of an
English-tillered bow. This design's grip is part of the working bow itself, making the bow easy to
layout and easy to make. It stores more energy than shorter bows, draws with less stack, and is
more stable/accurate. It may have a larger number of good features than any other design. These
instructions call for a lumberyard hardwood stave. With such a stave it's possible to readh this in the
morning and be shooting your bow the same afternoon. Not likely, but possible.

If you don't have access to such lumber do this: Cut a straight hardwood tree, split it down to
four-inch wide wedges, take the bark off without damaging the wood surface. With saw or hatchet
reduce the stave to 72" for a 28" draw. Add or subtract two inches for each one-inch change in
draw length. Narrow the stave to two inches from end to end, 1" thick at the grip, 3/4" midlimb, and
5/8" at the nocks. Set it horizontally in the warmest, driest part of you house and wait a month. Let
air move freely over all its surfaces, back and belly.

Selecting a lumber stave: Use any of the heavier hardwoods. White oak, rock maple, hickory,
pecan, mulberry, redoak, etc. Select a board on whose face ring lines are almost perfectly straight,
with no meanders or kinks, and at least almost perfectly parallel to the board. Don't bother about
ring lines on the side of the board; they can be misleading; they don't need to run straight. You will
likely have to look through 50 boards or more.

Tools: A hatchet and a rasp are all that's absolutely needed. But a spokeshave and coarse and
medium rasps make the work faster and easier. A block plane is helpful if used carefully. A bandsaw
saves about two hours of roughing out.

Front-view layout: With a sharp pencil and a straight-edge draw the bow 1 3/8" wide from midlimb
to midlimb. From there draw a straight taper to 1/2" nocks. Reduce the stave to these dimensions.
Don't stray past the line. Create smooth square sides. Smooth out the angle where the midlimb
begins to taper.

Side-view layout: Draw these lines on both sides of the stave: Let the center six-inches be 7/8" thick.
Moving toward the nock, let the next two inches taper to 3/4" then to 9/16" at midlimb, then to 1/2"
at the nocks. Let these thichness changes be smooth and gradual, with no angles.

Reduce the stave to these dimensions. Don't stray past the line. Remove the wood from one side of
the belly at a time, with the tool at a slight angle, such that when both sides are done a slight crown
will have been create along the center of the belly. Then remove the crown. It'simportant to do it this
way. Otherwise at some point you will dip below the opposie line. This method also averages out
any errors of reduction. It's also easier.

As you reduce down to the pencil lines frequently sight along the length of the limb from a low angle
and make sure your work is smooth and uniform, with no dips or waves or dings. THIS IS THE
MOST IMPORTANT PART OF BOWMAKING. This decides if your bow will break or not. If
thickness taper is smooth and gradual it's difficult to break a bow.

Narrow the belly side of the grip just enought to cause a nocked arrow to rest square against it. Do
this on both sides. Round all corners of the grip.

Cut nocks with a rattail rile or similar, then string the bow with a slack string. Set the center of the
grip on one end of a 30" one-by-three board or similar, and place the string in a notch cut into that
board, causing the bow to bend about five inches. Lean this rig against a wall then back up and
inspect the curve of your new bow.

The shape you are seeking is not part of a circle, but the shape of a satelite dish antenna--an almost
flat, only slightly bending grip, the each portion bending slightly more than the last as you move from
grip to nocks, Ellipitcal tiller.

It would be good to draw this shape on paper and have it ready to refer to while tillering.

If your bow does not take this shape, or if the limbs are not curving equally, make pencil marks on
the belly where the limb is too stiff. Remove wood from these stiff areas, first on one side of the belly
then the other--then remove the slight crown created. Do this with long sweeping strokes, creating
no dips, waves or dings, frequently sighting along your work, as above. THIS IS THE MOST
IMPORTANT PART OF BOWMAKING.

When the curve finally suits you brace the bow about five-inches high and inspect it again. Mark any
stiff portions and reduce them as above. When content with the curve draw the bow to half it's
intended draw weight, measured by you best guess or a scale. Set the bow on the tillering stick at
this length of draw and mark any stiff areas in the limbs and remove as above. Re-check the tiller,
re-mark, remove wood, etc. until perfect curvature is reached.

Now draw to full draw weight. If full weight is reached at, say, twelve of draw you need to remove a
medium amount of wood all along the bow's length. Do so by above methods, check for proper
curve on you tillering stick, correct where needed.

Again draw to full weight, now at possibly fifteen-inches of draw. From this point on remove only
paper thin amounts of wood at a time. Set the string in ever farther notches as draw length increases,
but never farther than five inches short of intended draw lenght, and not even there for more than a
few seconds.

Continue this process until about one-inch short of intended draw length. Smooth all surfaces to your
taste, slightly round all corners, and you're done. The bow will settle right into its design weight.
Nock the arrow just above the center of the grip--search for the spot the yields the feel of balance
string pull during the draw.

The arrow will fly more accurately with one limb or the other as the top limb, but this may change
over the life of the bow.

Please ask for details or clarification if needed.

There is much more to know--about different designs and woods, tillering techniques, quick drying,
board selection, split-stave preparation, layout, variations due to different woods--too much to say
here. But the above should put a good bow in your hands. For more general information keep and
eye on the 'Wood Bowmaking Secrets' threas, or post a question.

Tim Baker.

Butch
God Bless
Butch
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Butch Speer

• St. Clair Mo.
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 10:47:19 pm »
Here is the second one Tim posted.

The following 50lb bow is almost identical, but has a narrower, more comfortable grip. This bow is half-way between'first bow'and "Your Third Wooden Bow," which will be a shorter, wider-limbed, narrow grip, Comstock design. Some prefer a shorter bow for hunting. "Your Fourth Wood Bow" will require a split stave, and will cover tillering difficulties encountered when leaving the placid waters of board staves.

As with 'first bow,' the following instructions assume a straight-ringed board stave. If you don't have access to such then use a tree-split stave prepared as described in'first bow.' To make this bow you will need to print the opening instruction from that thread.

Choose a board on whose face ring lines can be seen runing from one end to the other in almost perfectly straight lines, with no kinks or waves, and fairly parallel with the face of the board. The fibers that make up such a board will then parallel the board surface/bow back, and the original surface of the tree. Pay no attention to how ring lines may appear on the side of the board. Trust for the moment that this makes no difference. Use any of the heavier common hardwoods.

Lay out this bow exactly as 'first bow' except

-- Let the 1 3/8" limb read 1 5/8".

-- Narrow the center 5 " of the bow to 1 1/4 ", widening gently to 1 5/8 ". This 1 1/4 " grip will be narrowed further if the strength and thickness of your board will perrnit.

Reduce and tiller as for 'first bow' except that the center 10" or so will be stiff to the eye.

When approaching final tiller, if the stiffness of the wood will "ow, narrow the 5" grip by very small amounts on each side until you can FEEL [not necessarily see] the grip barely bending in your hand. It's very important that this narrower wood not bend anywhere near as much as near-grip limb wood. Thicker wood will not bend as far before breaking.

This 'second bow' is a little more trouble to lay out than 'first bow' but is more comfortable to shoot. It's a good transition bow to have under your tillering belt before making the more difficult wider , shorter, 'third bow.'

Butch

God Bless
Butch
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Butch Speer

• St. Clair Mo.
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 10:48:29 pm »
Here's the third one.

STAVE SELECTION: Same as in 'First Bow,' except that the board must be two inches wide, but can be about 66" long. The same tools will also be used.

FRONT-VIEW LAYOUT: If you draw 28" this bow will be 66" long. Add or subrtact two inches for ever inch you draw long or short of 28". Mark the stave at the center of its length. Draw the handle one-inch wide and five-inches long. During the next two inches let the grip widen to the stave's full width of two-inches. Taper to 1 3/4" at midlimb. From midlimb draw straight-line width taper to 3/8" nocks. Reduce the stave to these dimensions. Be careful not to tray past the lines. Create smooth square sides. Smooth out the angle where the midlimb begins it's taper. If using a common 13/16" board or similar glue on a 12" long board of the same or equally stiff wood to thicken the handle. Lightly scrape both surfaces before gluing--to remove air-born oil. Be careful not to create a crown on either.

SIDE-VIEW LAYOUT: You will be drawing thickness taper lines on both sides of both limbs. Make target thickness marks on both sides of both tips, 3/8" from the back. At 5" from the tips make 1/2" marks, And at midlimb, again, 1/2" from the back and on both sides of both limbs. Six-inches from where the limb begins to narrow at the grip make 5/8" marks. Mark where the grip first begins to widen. Mark the grip 1 1/8" thick. On both sides of both limbs connect these marks with a sharp pencil line, careful to make any thickness changes smooth and gradual. At the near-grip 5/8" marks let the rise to the grip begin very gradually then become progressively steeper.

Reduce the stave to these dimensions, narrow the grip belly, cut nocks, and tiller the bow, all as per diretions in 'First Bow,' with these exceptions: Since the outer limb is a pyramid desiggn this portion will stay almost the same thickness along it's length. Remove enough belly wood here for the limb to bend, but no more than at midlimb. When finished tillering round the corners somewhat, especially the back corners. This is a durable, efficient design which should cast a 500-grain arrow about 160fps. Pleas ask for details or clarification if needed.

Butch

God Bless
Butch
- Erastus Wiman

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 10:50:00 pm »
Here's some stuff too. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

jeff

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 12:55:57 am »
thanks guys hey george i have been on your site already LOL!!!!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 01:12:00 am »
You might as well add George to your favorites, you will be back again.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 08:45:12 pm »
You might as well add George to your favorites, you will be back again.  ;)

yup i did and do   lol

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Far East Archer

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 08:58:32 pm »
Check out ferret's site (Mickey Lotz) here :http://groups.msn.com/FerretsArcheryWebPage
Good stuff and layout in board bow section.  :)

Alex